Click for full size
Building ProfileName : Commercial Travellers Association
LocationAddress: 318-324 Flinders Street
Construction DetailsBuilt: 1912 - 1913
Original use: Office
Current use: Club/Hotel/Coffee Palace
Built in the Edwardian period in the Palazzo style
The Commercial Travellers Association Building is of architectural significance as one of the finest and most distinct expressions of the Edwardian Baroque style in Melbourne. This grand classical non-domestic style, featuring a combination of Beaux Arts Classicism with a revival of English Baroque sources, was adopted as the style of choice for department stores and large commercial establishments in Melbourne in the first two decades of the 20th century. It was thus an eminently suitable style for the headquarters of the roving disciples of commerce, the Commercial Travellers Association. The building was the winning entry in a competition organised by the Association and judged by the well-respected Percy Oakden, an indication of the high regard in which the building was held by Tompkins architect peers. The Commercial Travellers Association Building is of architectural significance for a number of innovations, such as the use of welded wire reinforcing mesh, perhaps the first use of such material in Victoria, and "Mack" slab cement partitions, the only known use of this technology in Victoria. It was also one of Australias earliest steel framed buildings. Perhaps most notable was the use of cream glazed bricks, an unusual feature used to combat discolouration caused by pollution from the street and nearby railway yards. The building also boasted equipment such as a built-in vacuum cleaning plant, electrically heated service lifts, potato peeling machines, telephones in each room, a dish washing machine and large electric toaster. The building was also the tallest in Melbourne until the construction of the Manchester Unity, completed in 1932, and the first to be constrained to the new city height limit of 132 feet. The Commercial Travellers Association Building is of architectural significance as one of the most impressive works of Harry Tompkins. Tompkins was one of Melbournes best commercial architects during the first three decades of the 20th century. He had a long relationship with the Commercial Travellers Association and also with Sydney Myer, for whom he designed the first Myer building. Tompkins served two terms as President of the Royal Victorian Institute of Architects between 1914 and 1916, a reflection of his esteemed position in the architectural profession. Other well-known buildings for which he was responsible include Dimmeys Model Stores in Richmond and the Centreway Arcade in Collins Street.
The Commercial Travellers Association Building was designed by Harry Tompkins in 1912 and completed in 1913. It comprises a basement and nine storeys. The ground floor is faced with granite to a height of approximately 2.5 meters. The facade above is partially rendered and partially faced with cream glazed bricks. The rendered areas are treated in an ornate fashion, with exaggerated classical detailing including foliated swags, medallions and cartouches. Of particular note are the rustication of the ground and first floors and the colonnade of the second, or piano nobile, which is supported on massive, oversized consoles. Consoles also support the cornice surmounting the facade. Oriel windows rise through the second and third floors and are topped with balconettes. There are also balconettes on the eighth floor. Leadlight is featured in some of the windows, mainly at the lower levels. The building is an early example of steel-framed construction, with reinforced concrete floors and a combination of terra cotta lumber and cement slab for non-structural internal walls. The building ceased functioning as the Commercial Travellers Association club in 1976 and fell into disrepair before being restored as a hotel in the late 1990s.Architect: Harry Tompkins
Did you find what you were looking for ?
Discuss Commercial Travellers Association in the Walking Melbourne Forum