Former Campbell Residence - 61 Spring Street . MELBOURNE [Walking Melbourne Building Information]
Walking Melbourne

Former Campbell Residence: 61 Spring Street , MELBOURNE

Former Campbell Residence
Former Campbell Residence

Click for full size

Building Profile

Name : Former Campbell Residence

Location

Address: 61 Spring Street
City: MELBOURNE

Postcode: 3000


Construction Details

Built: 1875
Original use: Office
Current use: Office

Built in the Victorian period in the Renaissance Revival style

Notable features

The former Campbell residence is a fine example of classical renaissance revival architecture. The roofline is similar to the nearby Treasury building. The faceted bay is similar to Leonard Terrys Melbourne Club on nearby Collins Street. The twin faceted building give the building symetry, and the grand pedimented entrance, with large square window, give way to a grand interior and break up the spacial relationships of the building. The subtle use of cast iron, colonial Geogian or Regency styled window sashes and eave brackets give this building significant style and emphasis.

The building once extended down Spring Street, however a significant portion of the building was demolished in 1984 to make way for the 1 Collins Street project. 1 Collins street is one of Melbournes earliest and best known Post-Modern buildings, which was sympathetic to the Campbell residence and other heritage buildings in the area, taking design keys from them.

History

The former residence on the south west corner of Collins and Spring Street was built for a wealth pastoralist, William Campbell (1810-96) in 1877 to a design by architect Leonard Terry. The house, of cement rendered brick construction, originally extended south along Spring Street, but the four storey service wing was demolished in 1975. The surviving two storey section contains the principal rooms. After Campbell permanently left Victoria in 1882 the house was let for a while to William McCulloch (1832-1909). McCulloch was Member of the Legislative Council for Eastern (Gippsland) Province between 1880 and 1903. Later the house was let to members of the pastoralist Chirnside family. Between 1887 and 1901 61 Spring Street was owned by eye and ear surgeons.

Architect: Leonard Terry




Former Campbell Residence is classified by:

Did you find what you were looking for ?
Discuss Former Campbell Residence in the Walking Melbourne Forum



Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Index
Web Hosting by RipeFruit