Richmond Power Station - Oddys Lane. CREMORNE [Walking Melbourne Building Information]
Walking Melbourne

Richmond Power Station: Oddys Lane, CREMORNE

Richmond Power Station

Click for full size

Building Profile

Name : Richmond Power Station

Location

Address: Oddys Lane
City: CREMORNE

Postcode: 3121


Construction Details

Built: 1891
Original use: Industrial
Current use: Office

number of floors : 2

Built in the Edwardian period in the Romanesque style

Notable features

History

Initially the station provided power to Melbourne and the suburbs of Richmond, Prahran and South Melbourne. The main competitor was A U Alcock's Electric Light and Motive Power Company. In 1899 these two companies were taken over and were combined to form the Electric Lighting and Traction Company of Australia.

As demand increased the plant went through a series of upgrades, the first being an expansion to the engine house. In 1913 the engine room was extended to the east and a new chimney stack was built, in 1919 a second chimney stack was erected, and in 1922 a second floor was added to the office block.

In 1930 ownership of the station passed to the State Electricity Commission of Victoria, who upgraded the station with new oil-fired equipment in 1951. Although obsolete, the station continued to operate as a peak generation plant until 1976 when its inefficiency and pollution forced its closure.


[edit] Redevelopment
The building lay derelict in a large pocket of SEC owned land for many years. Its chimney stacks were demolished soon after closure due to structural faults. It was a popular location for film and television makers during this time. Some scenes for Bangkok Hilton were shot there, some of which incongruously showed the Bryant and May Factory in the background, as were scenes for the police drama Phoenix.

In the early 1990s, Victoria's electricity industry was privatised by the Kennett Liberal State Government. This saw this the sale of much of the SEC's surplus assets. The station and surrounding buildings were sold for development as an office park. All surrounding buildings, most of which dated from the 1930s and 1940s were demolished.

Under architects Metier 3 the original station building and turbine hall, which is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register was restored with a modern extension added to the section which formerly housed the chimney stacks. The building, designed for Country Road, won a merit award from the Royal Australian Institute of Architects in 1997. The area around the station has also been fully developed.

Architect: Charles Debro




Richmond Power Station is classified by:

Did you find what you were looking for ?
Discuss Richmond Power Station in the Walking Melbourne Forum



Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Index
Web Hosting by RipeFruit