Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 18:41

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2009, 18:46 
Elite Member
Elite Member

I agree I would be happy with smaller image sizes, people could host elsewhere and then click on thumbnail to see big pic.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2009, 23:27 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Elijah B wrote:
I had not realised that things were so grim.

Never grim, just challenging. Running a forum is no piece of cake. You have to consistently contend with things like hackers, software problems, abusive posters and also bandwidth.

Elijah B wrote:
Have you considered using thumbnails for the pics instead of posting the full pics themselves? The pics could also be hosted elsewhere on a free service, like Mediafire or Flickr, and linked to them.

I've looked into thumbnailing solutions - unsuccessfully. Unfortunately they only apply to new posts - most of the bandwidth is taken up by older posts which also happen to be the best ones.

Like:
viewtopic.php?t=408
and
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=441
and
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=437

And unfortunately hosting images elsewhere has no real effect in reducing the bandwidth for a number of reasons.
In fact I added the attachments feature so at least I could keep file sizes in check. Some hotlinked images were such high quality that they were over 2MB each !

Elijah B wrote:
I would be most unhappy if this place were to close. I think it is vastly superior than SSC and I value the contributions of those who post here.

Relax though, I'm not planning on closing the forum any time soon, I would be unhappy too. Things would have to get pretty bad like when the Sanity worm struck a couple of years ago and I couldn't access any backups. Anyway last time I closed the board I was flooded with protest emails saying I couldn't possibly. :lol:

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2009, 01:21 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Due to popular demand you can now set the number of posts per page on your control panel:

Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit display options > Posts per page:

Unfortunately though this mod has stuffed it for public users and I'm not sure why but the minimum posts now defaults to 10 and now I cant change it. :roll: which is really frustrating and kind of defeats the purpose of what I tried to do in the first place. I guess I'll just have to find other ways to solve the bandwidth problems.

I will investigate it further maybe later. For now though - enjoy !

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2009, 16:02 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Ohh thanks, you're a champ. :D