A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 18:26

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Database
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2011, 08:45 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Corio wrote:
Thanks Mr Pitt. The database is very useful in many ways, but, as you say, can't always be relied on.

I hesitate to ask, but who might be responsible for incorporating any corrections that arise from information provided here?

Hi Corio, that would be me.

Early in the days of WM I was maintaining it and we had a form through which people could submit information and changes to me. This was really popular and I had several regular contributors. But its still a hell of a lot of work. I was going to build a wiki editor but before I even had time to consider the security risks WM site got hacked. Although about half the data was recovered the rest was completely fried.

After the attack, it went permanently offline, but people said they wanted it to stay up, so its been left there, even though I really want to take it down due to the issues including content that is still inaccurate and amateurly researched.

The VHR database has improved in leaps and bounds and a number of wikis including WIkipedia came along, figured they would eventually make the WM database redundant. But it obviously still fills a niche, particularly when it comes to demolished buildings and changes over time.

A WM database 2.0 with a wiki and a new database structure was on the cards (one that would like several buildings to the same site so that you could see the evolution from one building to another), but its an enormous undertaking best approached by someone who has ready access to funds and spare time. Although I note that more people would be willing to contribute these days. Perhaps its worth a joint grant application or something.

Post subject: Re: Database
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2011, 09:38 

The City of Melbourne small business grants are worth considering: http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/enterprisemelbourne/BusinessSupport/grantssponsorship/Pages/GrantsSponsorship.aspx. (Pity this round is due tomorrow!)