Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 26 Jun 2018, 06:48

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 04:14 

I want to first say that I had been a member of Skyscrapercity Ozscrapers forums for some years because I could get info about any new Melbourne transport news from there. As long as I've been reading those boards they have been dominated by trolls who abuse and mock other members because they clearly are in control and are never stopped by the mods.

I recently read a thread there in which some members had complained to the mods about the trolls. They said they were upset by the behaviour of the trolls and that a number of members had left Ozscrapers because of trollish abuse. The mods replied that the trolls were "not doing any real harm" and there was nothing they could do about it (!).

I posted that Walking Melbourne is a forum worth visiting because we don't allow trolls here. This comment resulted swiftly in my being banned from Ozscrapers; not just for a short time, but a lifetime ban; no warning, no limited ban. When I attempt to log in to Ozscrapers I get a page that says I have been banned permanently for 'spamming'.

I have never spammed any place, ever. I can only assume I have been banned for suggesting Walking Melbourne as a place to avoid trolls.

Now, on consideration my post about the benefits of WM and my encouragement for people to come over was out of line. I did apologise via email but that didn't change the result or its severity.

There are good members at Ozscrapers, but the mods clearly don't give a damn about them and are evidently happy to allow idiots to abuse them routinely. Those trolls also make reading the posts a sour experience for anyone else; it's regrettable that the mods don't see that.

I wrote, not once but three times, to the mods at SSC, asking them to reconsider the banning, to which I never received the courtesy of any reply, adding insult to the injury.

Now, all this may appear to be a storm in a tea cup and it is, and nothing I say here will make any difference over there.

The reason I mention this episode here is because I don't think the Skyscrapercity Ozscraper administration should remain comfortably unexposed for the bad behaviour of one or more of their moderators; as a moderator myself I know how the system is supposed to work, and although I have made lifetime bans in my time, they have been for serious and repeated offenses and only after much soul searching and repeated warnings to the offender, discussions with the Administrator, and measures short of permanent banning.

A maverick moderator, such as appears to exist at Ozscrapers, who permanently bans without a warning, and behaves childishly in not even explaining the offense, is a destructive force for any forum and Ozscrapers has made a rod for its own back with the moderator they have.

I don't suppose for a moment that this post will make any difference to them, and I also don't think (based upon existing evidence) they would admit to being either wrong in their judgment, or reverse their decision if they were to ever hear of this complaint.

I do think a lifetime ban is high-handed and way in excess for any crime they think I have committed.

Post subject: Re: Ozscrapers
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2013, 10:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

A sad situation Elijah B., but by no means unique. Nevertheless, it's the sort of thing one expects from more overtly blokey forums than I would expect a forum such as Ozscraper to be.

Although I've rarely visited the Ozscraper forum and don't know all the background, it's hard to see what is so objectionable about your comments that you should be written-off for ever. However my experience in the few other forums I visit is that, not infrequently, individual mods make decisions in isolation. Only rarely do any other mods want to rock the boat by undoing what one of their colleagues has done, although it has happened.

Ultimately, you seem to be well out of it, despite the unfairness.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2013, 15:35 

^^^ Thank you for your compassionate words above.

It is baffling to me why, even if a mod decided that I was attempting to poach members, I should be given a lifetime ban instead of a proportional response like a warning and deletion of the post, or perhaps a banning for a week or month. The injury is followed by insult by they not replying to any of the three emails I sent asking for an explanation of their action and reversal of their decision. Their reaction is doubly baffling when I have seen little (actually, no) punishment against those who trash other members there on a routine basis.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2013, 16:32 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Quote:
I posted that Walking Melbourne is a forum worth visiting because we don't allow trolls here. This comment resulted swiftly in my being banned from Ozscrapers; not just for a short time, but a lifetime ban; no warning, no due process. When I attempt to log in to Ozscrapers I get a page that says I have been banned permanently for 'spamming'.

This topic [trolls] amuses me, I still can't think what this relates to 'off the top of my head' so I will now 'Google' it and provide the definition.

As for 'spamming' [or cluttering up someone's email with unsolicted 'junk mail']: I can't imagine ElijaB doing that!

Here's my Google selection:-

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting
arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic ..

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet) - 146k - Cached - Similar pages

Troll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A troll is a supernatural being in Norse mythology and Scandinavian folklore. In
origin, troll may have been a negative synonym for a jötunn (plural jötnar), ...

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll - 75k - Cached - Similar pages

Troll (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Troll is a 1986 cult dark fantasy film directed by John Carl Buechler. ... little
creature, who had long ago been transformed from a powerful wizard into a troll.

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(film) - 49k - Cached - Similar pages

Image results for troll

Urban Dictionary: troll
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message
board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll - 47k -