Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 18:17

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Street art
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2014, 11:39 

I was not going 2 post unless there was a definate go ahead. May I say, it is not a respected thing 2 do among graffiti circles 2 'bomb' tags and scribble. My enjoyment of the art is 4 art only. As I said earlier, the exploring whilst trying 2 find graffiti is fun. Often the art is found in places like drains or abandoned places. Don't worry, I will not post anything here. Thankyou 4 the feedback. I'm sorry 4 any offence caused.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2014, 15:19 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Well then, that makes this thread's discussion academic. For the record, the photo I posted was sourced from wiki and is an example of legal street art from the Melbourne CBD laneways.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2014, 21:25 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Soops, welcome to the forum. You've stimulated some healthy debate which is always great to see here.

As discussed, from a legal standpoint, photos of legally commissioned street art are welcome here as is general discussion of street art. You are therefore, like Zxath has done, welcome to post some. But within limited. As noted, this website does not exist to glorify unlawful works and cannot be seen as endorsing breaking of the law. To a certain extent, the rule of "fair use" applies and granted vandalism does and will happen. I myself have also been victim to it. We're mostly here to discuss architecture however.

Having said that, some have posted on this topic, including discussion on controversial topics such as stencils and works such as those of Banksy etc. This discussion and posting is neither banned or discouraged. Personally, I appreciate many works of street art and like old faded advertising signs, it can represent a great historical snapshot of our built environment. Though would not classify the great number of graffiti tags out there as quality art. I think our members appreciate quality over quantity.

I have posted street art made by others, but I don't condone breaking the law. I don't want to seem hypocritical. However, other than a passing discussion, I don't think posting large amounts of photos would be welcomed by the majority of our members. As suggested there are other sites which focus on this subject and for which it is more on topic. Like all things on this forum, it has to be about moderation. If members feel uncomfortable, members that make them feel that way will often get booted. So unless you're also posting on this site about architecture, I would probably refrain from posting them here.

Thanks for your understanding.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2014, 21:48 

As I already said, I will not post any. I saw a post about the Cave Clan (who are not involved in graffiti) and a bridge room explored by them and misunderstood the broader purpose of this forum. Although now that I think about it further, there wasn't ever any reason for my doing so.