Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 18:35

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This Forum
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2016, 02:23 

As is obvious to anyone who posts in this forum, Walking Melbourne is well past its heyday and is close to being moribund.

williampitt and I want to open a discussion about the future of the Walking Melbourne forum.

The forum needs to be rejuvenated if it is to survive, but if that can't be done then closing down might be an option.

Aside from the lack of activity in the forum being a problem, there is a need for an updated PHPBB program to be installed, which would require a lot of work to copy over the old forum. Also, many posts have lost the images associated with them, and this would be a huge job to remedy and is probably not possible. It is probably better to start a new forum with a clean slate, at the loss of the existing posts.

All these things contribute to questioning whether WM should continue to be maintained if an active user base can't be rebuilt.

We are grateful to those who are still a part of the forum scene here. We ask everyone to start talking about whether they think the forum should be shut down or kept, and what ideas you have that may help it become viable again.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2016, 21:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It's gonna kill the content of the board but all the threads with dead links are basically a waste of time. I don't possibly see how you could fix them.

It's a killer for my stuff because I think basically all mine would have dead links in them. As I said in a recent post in the forums - I toyed with the idea of fixing my threads but it would take a frigging lifetime.

I used to post quite a bit but I was single, lived in the inner suburbs and was child free when I started on the board - all that has changed and has had a huge impact on the time I used to spend on my posts. Going out and taking photos or just putting together a reasonable thread by referencing other photos can take a bit of time and I just don't have as much of it anymore.

I honestly think a complete rebuild would be the proper way to go - toss all the old stuff out and start again.....it will be a shame because a lot of people put a lot of work to create a huge wealth of information.......but if you are serious about kick starting this thing again then I guess you really have to start from the beginning - (It could be worth while picking out some threads that still retain links etc to form a base to start with - I'd be happy to look through my own and suggest to see which still are worthwhile to use if that is of any help).

A site like this is well worth the effort it involves - I'd definitely try to spend more time on here when/if the new version is up as I'll never lose my interest in the things that brought me here in the first place.

:-D

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 21:45 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback j.v.d.a ... I know the feeling there and have come to a similar conclusion. To me personally the quality of the userbase has always been more important than quantity and I think what the longer term users have done for this forum has always been amazing.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 07:20 

Sorry I can not help. It will be a sad to close this page down but a lot of forums have gone this way thanks to Facebook.