A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 22:56

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2016, 15:28 
Elite Member
Elite Member

I admit this is just copy and pasted from my blog ShotByMatt , however I just thought some people may not have heard of Woolamai House and may find it to be of interest.

The grounds are open to the public now and I believe the main house is viewable on Saturdays?
More about the future of the house here - http://woolamaihouse.com.au/history/woolamai-homestead

I will put this little disclaimer here as I have previously had photos 'stolen' which I've posted on WM.
All photos below are taken by and owned by me, use of any of them without my permission is stealing
and actions will be taken.

Wollomai (now Woolamai) House at Cape Woolamai – formally Newhaven – was constructed over several stages from c.1876 for John Cleeland, an Irish born captain and hotelier. John Cleeland was the owner and proprietor of the Albion Hotel in Melbourne’s Bourke St before developing an interest in horse racing and purchasing several cliff top allotments at Newhaven in the early 1870’s in which to follow his newly found passion. Cleeland went on to win the Melbourne Cup in 1875 with his race horse ‘Wollomai’. Both the horse and house were named after (the then spelt) Cape Wollomai.

Woolamai House has been modified several times since its initial construction but overall remains the same. The front porch/ verandah has once again been fortunately opened up as at one stage it had been enclosed, several additions have been added and removed over the years, as have several outbuildings come and gone. Remnants of the Victorian gardens remain, with the most outstanding feature being an avenue of Norfolk Island Pines leading up to the front of the house. The roof of the tower appears to have originally been finished off with a flat roof, the wooden railing which now adorns it appears to have been added during the restoration/ preservation stage. Although, photos from the latter part of the last century (80’s or 90’s) do show a simple, less ornate railing a top the tower roof.

Woolamai House (classed as a ‘Mansion’ on the Victoria Heritage Database) is less of a mansion and more of a grand homestead – probably one of, if not the grandest house of the era still standing on Phillip Island.

The house today has been externally tidied up and land subdivided and will become the centre piece of the new Woolamai House Estate (currently under construction). On the southern side of the house, a large modern display and discovery centre has recently been constructed in a 1950’s Brutalist style, which leads through to the homestead via glass walkway. Although it dwarves the original homestead, I don’t think it takes from it too much and admittedly, I personally don’t mind it.