Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 28 Jun 2017, 21:27

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2015, 07:06 

Question:

Do you think that Melbourne and Victoria have reached a tipping point where we are no longer ahead of the population/business growth, but instead are constantly playing catch up? I do. The recent widening of the Calder/Tullamarine fwy by removing the emergency lane and dropping the speed limit to 80 smacks of desperation.

So, once upon a time our forefathers were planning ahead for growth, whereas now we seem to be held back by a continual lack of foresight when it comes to planning or building infrastructure.

What year or decade do you think saw the point of no return pass? Was it the 1980's? The sell-off of public assets?

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2015, 20:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The tipping point was in the 1950s, when the futile attempt began to build sufficient road capacity to "solve" the traffic congestion problem. As experience around the world shows us, you cannot build your way out of road congestion - as road capacity is increased, people drive more and drive further, leading to yet more congestion.

Even John Merritt, the current VicRoads CEO, has acknowledged that.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne ... oads-chief

Building more and more major road capacity to overcome congestion equates to Einstein's (alleged) definition of insanity - doing something over and over again and expecting a different result.

It's vital that we give priority to sustainable transport modes. In fact, as noted by one of John Merritt's predecessors, David Anderson, congestion is a much underrated traffic management tool.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2015, 21:35 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Was it ever really so? While train and tram lines were built to the middle of nowhere, was that about planning for the future or profits for speculative developers? The street where I spent my first years of life was lined with new weatherboard houses. The street was a sandy track with a lamp post right in the middle of it that cars had to dodge around. School class sizes were large, although the basic education standard was high. Medical care? I can't remember but people seemed to receive it without being sent into poverty, as happens in a very large and rich country with which we now have a strong connection. It is an interesting point to think about but there is no doubt it has all gone very wrong of late and it could hardly be said that Victoria is even in catch up mode.