Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 23:43

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: All things Sydney-like
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2004, 23:37 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Well why not kick the new sub-forum off with a thread devoted to that 30-something blonde bimbo of a city, commonly known as Sydney?

Love or hate her, Sydney's deserving of a spot here as well we wouldn't be here with out her, nor would she be in the state she's in if it weren't for Mr. Melbourne.

Martin Place (Street?) in '68

I was absolutely gobsmacked by this building (and to an extent Martin Place in general) when up there last:

post away!

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2004, 10:03 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tayser wrote:

I was absolutely gobsmacked by this building (and to an extent Martin Place in general) when up there last:

post away!

Interestingly enough Tays, the Melbourne MLC was identical to Sydney's and located on the corner of Collins and Elizabeth streets. It was demolished in the 1970s to make way for a larger curved MLC tower (Anyone have photo of that one).

Yes, Martin Place is like an oasis in a concrete jungle. My favourite parts of Sydney is the area around Hyde Park.
I think that Sydney has many more fine art-deco buildings than Melbourne, but I personally am not the biggest fan of deco, and most American cities have an abundance of it.

As a city, I prefer Newcastle in the Hunter Valley. It is like a mini-Sydney, with a flavour of its own and very much less rushed and cramped.

Post subject: MLC and their buildings
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2004, 19:31 
It has a beautiful foyer too....

The building is a little different from Melbourne's MLC Building, which had wider areas of glazing than its Sydney counterpart (three windows between each column rather than two). What's sadder is that the Melbourne Building only survived just over thirty years before it was decided to rip it down and replace it with the present building, which has now been buggered up with that horrible 1980s podium that was unsympathetic to the original design and covered the building's original (small) forecourt.

The design of similar MLC Buildings in the 1930s in each city followed on from the T&G, another life office, which chose to build in a similar style in each city in Australia and New Zealand, so that the life office was highly visible in each city. Later, in the 1960s the life offices led the redevelopment of Melbourne, each life office building their building a little higher than the last built (sound familiar?). The present MLC Building was about the last in that wave of building (except for maybe the former City Mutual Building, Collins and William Street, ironically now MLC's).

The steel mast that is at the top of the present building originally lit up and different lights illuminated on it represented the city's weather forecast. This has sadly been disused for years now. I think the present building is in a pretty sad way now and I know a few years ago there was talk of pulling it down.

There we are. I think I have said enough for one posting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2004, 19:34 
...sorry that previous post was from me. It came up as 'guest' for some reason

Peter Barrett

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2004, 20:11 
Elite Member
Elite Member

303 Collins ("IOOF") = MLC building???

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2004, 23:02 
Yes that was formerly the MLC Building.

Peter Barrett

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next