Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 29 Mar 2017, 20:08

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2011, 14:34 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Quote:
As for the W-class trams performing "quite admirably", the ones in service (W6) are underpowered going up slight hills, and they do not have
proper brakes.

Fortunately Melbourne W trams now in service have had track brakes fitted to them. I understand they are electromagnetic and forcibly clamp down onto the track to quickly bring the tram to a halt.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 22:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

RobinV wrote:
As for the W-class trams performing "quite admirably", the ones in service (W6) are underpowered going up slight hills, and they do not have proper brakes. If the air supply fails (i.e., a broken hose), the air brakes don't work. That is the reverse of airbrakes on trams elsewhere, where the brakes are always applied, and the air pressure is applied to release the brakes in order that the tram can move off. Should the air supply fail while the tram is moving, the brake controller is ineffective. In that event, the driver has to resort to a mechanical handbrake.

I've taken advice about this claim from a couple of tram experts, one whom drives W-class trams, and they say that the W-class trams currently in service do in fact have "proper" fail-safe brakes. When a tram is in normal operation, if the air pressure in the system drops below 40psi (e.g. because of a broken hose), the brakes are automatically applied until sufficient air pressure is returned to the system.

Only when the tram is stabled out of service, with no air in the system at all, is the park brake required to hold the car in place. However my informants tell me that it's good practice to apply the park brake when the tram is left unattended, for a toilet stop or such.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 02:05 

Highriser wrote:
Quote:
As for the W-class trams performing "quite admirably", the ones in service (W6) are underpowered going up slight hills, and they do not have
proper brakes.

Fortunately Melbourne W trams now in service have had track brakes fitted to them. I understand they are electromagnetic and forcibly clamp down onto the track to quickly bring the tram to a halt.

You're right. I hadn't noticed that the City Circle trams have had track brakes fitted. The brakes are largely obscured by the under-bogie
brackets required to hold them in place. I don't know how recent
that is, nor have I been down to Chapel Street lately to see whether
those trams have had the same treatment.

This matter reminded me of the runaway tram in Swanston Street in the mid-1970s. A truck collided with a south-bound tram outside the CUB building and demolished the driver's cabin. The driver was stunned,
and the tram gathered speed down the incline. Passengers jumped off
the tram as it gathered speed. The conductor had to rush to the
rear of the tram to apply the handbrake, but did not bring the car
to a halt until it had nearly reached La Trobe Street.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 11:44 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Yes RobinV, all W trams in service have them. I am not sure about the restaurant trams though. Conjures up an interesting mental image of a restaurant tram making an emergency stop and the mayhem that would ensue.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 13:48 
Elite Member
Elite Member

right off topic I guess, but why dont they keep, say, 20 W class trams restored to their former selves, and then renovate the 200 or so others so that they are more accessible for less able passengers, and have air conditioning, like the ones in many international cities have been, and then put them into service. They are only going to waste as it is, so at least their outward appearance would be preserved. Otherwise the way they are going they wont even have that eventually.
This would add about 30% more trams to the network, and would allow for more services!
We have only about 500 trams on the network - the same ammount Sydney had before they ripped up there far smaller network.

And know the place for the first time.” -T.S Eliot

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 19:23 

drbuc wrote:
right off topic I guess, but why dont they keep, say, 20 W class trams restored to their former selves, and then renovate the 200 or so others so that they are more accessible for less able passengers, and have air conditioning, like the ones in many international cities have been, and then put them into service. They are only going to waste as it is, so at least their outward appearance would be preserved. Otherwise the way they are going they wont even have that eventually.

I'm right with you on this, drbuc, and for a long time I've thought that the mechanicals of W trams could be modernised in the name of nostalgia and retaining a most notable character icon that has a quintessential identity of Melbourne; something I don't feel that later trams have achieved to the same degree. I think you may find some people are opposed to the idea, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next