All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2010, 20:45 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Great shots, I love the QV building =D>

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2010, 18:33 

The Queen Victoria Building was also the site of the most opulent of the tea rooms operated by the Chinese born Australian merchant and philanthropist, Quong Tart, Mandarin of the fourth degree, who lived at Ashfield, in Sydney's inner west (there is a memorial to him in Hercules Street, Ashfield).

This quote from Wikipedia gives some idea of what sort of man he was:
Quote:
A prominent businessman, he owned a network of tearooms in the Sydney Arcade, the Royal Arcade and King Street. His crowning success was the ‘Elite Hall’ in the Queen Victoria Market, now the Queen Victoria Building. He was also a community leader, well connected with the local political and social elites. An acting consular to the imperial Chinese government at the time, the Chinese Emperor made him an honorary Mandarin of the fifth degree in 1887, in acknowledgment of his services to the Overseas Chinese community and to European-Chinese relations in Australia. In 1894, he was advanced to the fourth degree and was appointed Mandarin of the Blue Button, honoured by the Dragon Throne with the Peacock Feather.

An active philanthropist, he often provided dinners, gifts and entertainment at his own expense for recipients ranging from the Benevolent Society home at Liverpool, to the newsboys of Ashfield, Summer Hill, Croydon and Burwood. From 1885 to 1888, he provided a series of dinners for the inmates of destitute asylums.

He also had progressive ideas about Sydney social politics. His tea rooms were the site of the first meetings of Sydney's suffragettes, and he devised new and improved employment policies for staff, such as paid sick leave.

He was a spokesman for the Chinese community, often advocating for the rights of Chinese Australians and working as an interpreter. He was one of the founders of the first Chinese merchants association in Sydney, titled the Lin Yik Tong.

He campaigned against the opium trade, and in 1883 went on an investigation to the Chinese camps in Southern New South Wales. The report revealed widespread opium addiction, and on 24 April 1884, Quong Tart presented a petition to the colonial secretary requesting the ban of opium imports. In June that year Quong Tart also tried to win support for a ban of opium in Melbourne and Ballarat, Victoria. In 1887, he presented a second petition to parliament, and produced a pamphlet titled 'A Plea for the Abolition of the Importation of Opium'.

He was also part of the NSW Royal Commission on Alleged Chinese Gambling and Immorality and Charges of Bribery Against Members of the Police Force from 1891 to 1892.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mei_Quong_Tart

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2010, 19:29 
Elite Member
Elite Member

I never knew that, just absolutely love the QV building. It has obviously been beautifully restored in recent years, the leadlight and stained glass windows are really something to look at. It wouldn't take much for me to move to Sydney, I love it. If my lotto numbers come up I'm moving to Kirrabilli. Thanks for posting =D>

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2010, 11:48 

Back in the 60s, the Queen Victoria Building apparently was facing the possibility of demolition, but was reprieved in the 80s, and restored by the Malaysian company, Ipoh Garden. Not only did they do a magnificent restoration, the building is beautifully maintained. Here's a quote from the QVB website:

Quote:
Drastic Art Deco 'remodelling' occurred during the 1930s to accommodate the main occupant - Sydney City Council. From 1959 to 1971, the QVB faced near-demolition. A massive restoration project was given the green light and, in 1982, Ipoh Garden was awarded the restoration project and a 99-year lease. The fully restored Queen Victoria Building reopened her doors to Sydneysiders and visitors alike in 1986. A major refurbishment in 2009 restored her even further. Today the QVB stands in all her glory, testimony to the original vision for the building and the superb craftsmanship of the artisans who put it all back together again.

http://www.qvb.com.au/History-of-QVB

I'm not really into local "soap operas" but it might also be of interest to some to note that Josh Quong Tart (Miles Copeland on Home and Away) is a descendant of Quong Tart.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2010, 14:01 
Elite Member
Elite Member

It really is beautiful. It makes me wonder how all the buildings looked at the time they were built. We don't see that kind of craftsman and attention to detail anymore =D>

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 23:00 

Some photos from Eastern Sydney CBD during my visit there last April!

The Shrine of Remembrance

The Government House (former Governor General's House)

The NSW State Library

The St Mary's Cathedral