Just a few interesting comparative shots taken of Wynyard Square in Sydney. The square itself was named after Edward Buckley Wynyard who arrived in Sydney from London in 1848 and went on to become Lieutenant-general in 1851 before returning to London in 1853.
The square was first used in 1792 as a militray parade ground and subsequently became and remains an urban recreation ground, which it was formally dedicated as in 1887.
Here it is in 1859:
Here's a great shot of the square in around 1879 (link to high quality version beneath):http://image.sl.nsw.gov.au/spf/a089/a089601h.jpg
Here's the square in ca: 1900 - 1910, at its height as a public park, things have certainly changed:http://image.sl.nsw.gov.au/1/pxe711/a116371h.jpg