Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 01:38

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 23:30 

Hello,

I am currently conducting an in depth research study into a house owned by my parents in Mowbray, Launceston, Tasmana named 'Vermont Homestead' situated once on the farm of 'Vermont'.

My research is going well besides one thing: the date the house was built. I have been told it was built in numerous decades from 1845 right through to 1890, which still keeps it in the Victorian date range.

From my research, my personal guess would about around 1850 - 1855, but I am no real expert.

It has such features as 12ft high ceilings but with no cornices, grained wooden skirting boards, door frames, doors etc, double fronted (now enclosed) with wrap around verandah with iron lace work and supporting colums, arched windows on each front and an arched front door way.

Attached is a picture, if you need any more just ask and I will attach some more.

If you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011, 10:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The shape and style of the house, and the use of cast iron lace on the verandah, assuming both are original, strongly suggests a building constructed in the 1870s or 1880s.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011, 19:28 

Hello,

thanks for the info.

I have a primary source record written by a nearby farmer whom, in a certain instance, walked from his property to 'Vermont'. He states this in a piece of writing in 1886, but this certain visit was back in the mid 1860's. He writes that he walked to the house "now owned by Mr. William Luck", which is, 'Vermont Homestead'.

So there is a bit of conflicting evidence here.

Best regards,

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 15:45 

Does anyone else have any opinions on this matter?

Regards,

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 16:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

As I implied in my earlier post, the existence of a property named Vermont the mid 1860s doesn't necessarily mean that the house pictured existed then. The original house may have been replaced or extended. The place doesn't look very grand however, so any previous version is perhaps unlikely to have been called a "homestead". I suppose it might depend on how pretentious you are!

The Launceston Examiner for the period involved is available online, and you could well use the search function to look for Vermont, Vermont Homestead or William Luck.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 19:01 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Just out of interest, would that front room have been a later extension?
It just doesn't look to match the rest of the house, both in the way of style and the panelling.
It looks to me that originally the homestead would of been in a double-fronted Victorian style, with a
surrounding veranda. Whereas the front protruding room looks like a later addition.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next