Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 29 Apr 2017, 08:53

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 12:50 

Hello,

thanks for the cut outs from Trove, but I already have the entirety of this information. That source is exhausted for me.

I have every drop of information about William Luck and the Luck family, but thanks anyway.

I have a cut out from the news paper from 1855 stating that 'Vemront' has a house, barns, stables &c.

I have a census record from the lease holder in 1848 that says there is a house there made of weatherboard.

Also, there is a recorded bushranger incident that happened at 'Vermont'. This happened sometimes in the 1860's in the house "now owned by Mr. William Luck" (stated in the 1880's).

A homestead does not have to be "grand" to be called a homestead. It is simply a large dwelling on a vast area of land.

There are no other properties on the banks of the North Esk River called 'Vermont' in Parish No. 12 so I am sure these records are about this property.

Additionally, I have a detailed advertisement about the house from 1871 describing the house exactly how it is. It mentions that the outbuildings have been newly repaired/errected but not the house.

As I stated before, the house has a verandah that wraps around the left hand side of the house (currently filled in) to another wing which looks identical to the front, and another that goes straight accross the back terminating at the wash house.

There is word that there used to be a small cottage adjacent to the house which was demolished some years back and was apparently older than the house, but, it was only 3 rooms and at the stage that it was built (1850's) there was an 11 member family living here at 'Vermont' and that just isnt possible.

I hope this helps you help me.

Best regards,

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011, 19:53 

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Your contribution would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 11:29 

...Anyone...? :D

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 11:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It doesn't look like it at the moment. Your own research seems to be the most comprehensive on offer.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 14:05 
Elite Member
Elite Member

I don't understand the issue in this topic.

From the photo, description and the close up of the verandah in the 1903 photo of the Luck family, I agree with Corio that this style of house was built about 1870's.

However VermontResearch doesn't accept that because he is looking for the answer to confirm the written documentation that he has that there was a house at Vermont in 1848 (written documentation, especially the 1871 advertisement describing the house, which was not disclosed in the original written request for information in this topic on 16 January 2011).

Now every time this topic gets to the bottom of the active topic page it is resurrected once again asking for help.

We have tried to be helpful but at the end of the day the research that VermontResearch has is much more than we could possibly find on the internet or in our Victorian libraries.

All I can suggest to VermontResearch is that if his parents own the house (as he stated in his first post on this topic) then look at the title deeds or go to the Land Titles office and spend some time and money getting them to find the deeds back to 1840 or earlier.

Has VermontResearch done any research on John King the 1856 owner of Vermont and Charles Best the 1851 owner of Vermont? And what about all the other owners who are listed on the land title document. There may be photos in the Tasmanian state library of them standing in front of their house.

At the end of the day what VermontResearch will probably discover is that there was a house on Vermont in 1840's but it was replaced/renovated/extended with the current style weatherboard house in 1870 but it would take alot more leg work that just constantly asking on this forum to discover the evidence that VermontResearch obviously needs for his history thesis, up coming book, television documentary or what ever this information is really for.

Last edited by Edwardian on 19 Mar 2011, 11:47, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 21:11 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Edwardian wrote:
In 1890 William Luck advertised the sale of properties that he owned including Vermont.

Attachment:
Sale of Vermont 11 Jan 1890.JPG

William Luck had 14 children with his first wife and 9 sons with his second wife and the following photo of William Luck with his children was taken at Vermont in 1903.

Attachment:
Vermont Mowbray 1903 William Luck.JPG

Why did people never smile in Victorian photographs?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next