Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 02:11

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2011, 14:09 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Corio wrote:
Tempesta, I'm sure you're correct in your assumption that there's more to the "serious" expressions on people's faces in Victorian photographs than the exposure time of contemporary cameras. Another factor might be that having your photo taken back then was almost infinitely less common than now. In Victorian times it was a big occasion, was very often related to an important event, and took time and money. There'd be no thought of clowning around.

That is exactly what I had always suspected, Corio, a sober, more serious expression tends to lean toward this. It actually brings to mind the Annie Leibovitz exhibition of political figures in America, she has taken many such portraits, as the official Whitehouse photographer.

Zxath, thank you for your insight. Not being a photographer, exposure times had not even crossed my mind.

Tempesta, you're quite right, when did smiling become the norm? I can't help but find many Victorian photos have quite stern expression, though.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 09:56 
Elite Member
Elite Member

VermontResearch wrote:

It seems most possible that there was another dwelling standing before the present homestead, but on and around the property there doesn't seem to be any old ruins/foundations of a previous house. Nor are there any remains under the floors of the current house, making it possible that it was extended. But inside there house there is no real difference in design suggesting that it has been extended besides the rear hallways having lower ceilings of panelled wood. The dairy that still remains on the property is most definately far older than the house.

I am curious, have you done any excavation archaelogical digs?
If not then there could quite easily be remnants of an older building somewhere on the site, but you wouldn't know because it is under a layer of dirt. Just a possibility

And know the place for the first time.” -T.S Eliot

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 13:19 

Hello,

yes, we have done some digs.

We turned up many clay pipes and coins, some of the coins dating back to 1793.

Also, a few clay bottles, some bullets, locks and part of a duelling pistol made by D. Egg, London.

There was also a great amount of cut blue stone, but I believe this used to be for the "stone stable" which aparently used to be there but more likely the long stone wall built by convicts in the 1840's.

Thanks for your question.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 10:28 

Hello,

for those of you that are interested I now have records of the land back to 1812.

The land is shown on a map from the above date making it one of the earliest land grants in the Launceston Area.

Its first grant owner was a Mr. William Smith who had 60 acres.

After this, William Effingham Lawrence took over the grant in 1821 and "built a house thereon for his son, Robert William Lawrence, Van Dieman's Land's first distinguished Botanist."

But Robert didn't arrive from England until 1825.

The earliest record I have of the land being called 'Vermont' is from 1832.

Regards,

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 11:44 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Are there any images you can share?

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 12:06 

It is pictured on the North Esk here:

http://www.nla.gov.au/apps/cdview?pi=nl ... =197&y=222

And here:

http://www.nla.gov.au/apps/cdview?pi=nl ... =166&y=168

First map is from 1819, second one from 1822. The 1812 map I am yet to obtain a copy of.

Regards,

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next