Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 25 Apr 2017, 13:48

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 19:10 
Elite Member
Elite Member

I agree with Matt's comments above.

<Comments deleted by moderator>
<Comments deleted by moderator>

Yes there may have been a house on that parcel of land prior to 1870 but it wasn't that house. How do I know it wasn't that house - because their archeological dig found a great amount of cut bluestone from the "stone stable" or stone wall. No body makes their family live in a wooden house and has their animals in a much better insulated stone building during the 1800's. Even if they couldn't get a stone house at first they would have used convict labour to build a stone house when the materials became available not a stable or wall.

<Comments Deleted by Moderator>

Attachment:
File comment: The Examiner 23 Feb 2011
Zac Coppleman The Examiner 23 Feb 2011.jpg
Zac Coppleman The Examiner 23 Feb 2011.jpg [ 123.59 KiB | Viewed 1602 times ]

Last edited by Edwardian on 19 Mar 2011, 13:23, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 21:10 
Elite Member
Elite Member

<Comments deleted by Moderator>

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2011, 08:29 

The descendents of Effingham Lawrence still live at Cressy, they might have some info.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2011, 18:01 

Well, to start from the beginning...

"Did you read The Examiner Newspaper yesterday 16/3/2011 it was in there with the new owners."

Yes, I did, thank you. I am Zac Coppleman. Surprise!

"Regardless of the advice provided by forum members that this style of house would date to the 1870's they have decided this house was built in 1826 - I doubt it very much."

The information provided by some members was helpful. Mostly what I recieved from here was a rude 'know all' reception.

I did not decide that the house was built in 1826, not at all. It was the newspaper that printed that. I have found that the first part of the house was most probably built in 1826.

"So do we all get a mention in Zac Coppleman's study for helping him with his homework week after week?"

Week after week...yes, thats a bit of an exaggeration don't you think?

"Or is this topic going to reappear again and again until Zac Coppleman graduates? I certainly hope not!!"

You're wrong, because it will. Just not on here. You will see my name in bigger and brighter places, rather than stuck here on this forum trying to sound like a proffesional on these topics.

I thank those of you that did offer some assistance. When researching History, one must make some debate. But it seems some on here don't like to be questioned.

"After this we'll never hear from 'VermontResearch' again, and several other's lately have signed up just to get some
questions answered, they get what they want and then... Gone.
"

If someone signs up just to ask a question that you guys might be able to help with; so be it. You guys are on here to offer your assistance.

"For me personally I am happy to do some research to help them out but with VermontResearch after I spent about 3 hours doing research and posting my results he response by posting "thanks for the cut outs from Trove, but I already have the entirety of this information. That source is exhausted for me". If I had known that I would have research other names or facts and maybe come up with something useful as I have a vast library at my disposal."

I did not ask you to research for me. I asked for opinions. You took it upon yourself to research for me from your own goodness. Do you expect a kiss and a hug in thanks? Maybe you should have asked me first. I didn't know you felt so sorely about it. In the end, its only a forum, not your life. Or is it?

"In addition, a number of forum members agree the house is 1870's but VermontResearch doesn't agree but doesn't provide any real evidence why 1870's is not correct."

Nobody provided any back up evidence for this. No reference to books, similar buildings, anything. I do believe the wings of the house and the half-wrap verandah with lacework was added in the 1870's. But this, I had to find out from books on my own. I have found that the majoity of the current house was most likely built in the late 1840's in a very early Italianate style. This is quite a rare design which was difficult for many to date, but the interior features gave it away in the end.

"Yes there may have been a house on that parcel of land prior to 1870 but it wasn't that house. How do I know it wasn't that house - because their archeological dig found a great amount of cut bluestone from the "stone stable" or stone wall. No body makes their family live in a wooden house and has their animals in a much better insulated stone building during the 1800's. Even if they couldn't get a stone house at first they would have used convict labour to build a stone house when the materials became available not a stable or wall."

From what I can find, the house was built of wood and stone. The stone structures have since been removed. Did it ever occur to you to think that stables and barns were built of stone to protect the animals? Bushrangers, natives and theives were rife in these days and the animals they raised were their livelyhood and only source of money. They needed to be protected.

"The descendents of Effingham Lawrence still live at Cressy, they might have some info."

Thank you. I have been lately speaking with the Lawrence family and they have been a great help.

All in all, some people assisted me on this forum, but others took it as an opportunity to get on their high horse and start giving out facts they had no backing to, just to show a "newbie" whos 'boss'. I will not be reccomending this forum to anyone for the rude reception and for the back talk I have recieved.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Goodnight.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2011, 18:30 
Elite Member
Elite Member

VermontResearch wrote:
After this we'll never hear from 'VermontResearch' again, and several other's lately have signed up just to get some
questions answered, they get what they want and then... Gone.
"

If someone signs up just to ask a question that you guys might be able to help with; so be it. You guys are on here to offer your assistance.

VermontResearch wrote:
From what I can find, the house was built of wood and stone. The stone structures have since been removed. Did it ever occur to you to think that stables and barns were built of stone to protect the animals? Bushrangers, natives and theives were rife in these days and the animals they raised were their livelyhood and only source of money. They needed to be protected.

Would they not care more for the livelyhood of their family over their animals?

- Also I'm sorry but what were the 'interior features' that gave away that it was built in 1826?

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2011, 18:59 

I agree with VermontResearch he was only asking if anyone had information. Researching home/family trees is very exciting and every bit of information helps.

Humans in general like helping so for those who helped, it was your choice !! Nobody forced you to respond, you could have ignored what he was asking but you chose to help. Why would anyone make him feel like this forum was just a bad experience?

Try to be kind and helpful, it makes everyone happy !!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next