Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 20:05

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2011, 13:47 

Hi everyone,
I'm doing a final project for yr 12, and was wondering if anyone can help me out a bit?
basically, all I need to know is what do you think of Sydney Central Station and its significance?
Let me know what you think, cheers.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2011, 11:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think some more specific questions might yield better results for you stack323. It's hard to know where to start with such a general enquiry.

One thing I can say is that the significance of the station is far less than when it was the hub of the vast NSWGR country passenger network. The huge indicator board in the main concourse, listing train departures, definitely merited that over-used appellation "iconic". It's now in the Powerhouse Museum.

This is just part of it, in a photo by Robert Heal, taken from Rolfe Bozier's site http://www.nswrail.net/

Today, country passenger rail services in NSW have almost disappeared, with only a handful of related train movements into and out of Central each day.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2011, 21:09 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The vaulted Grand Concourse for country departures would have to be one of the most impressive interior structures of any railway station I've seen in this country apart from maybe the newer Southern Cross that is.

I used to love getting off the XPT to that spectacular sight.

I like the rusticated stone and it is an impressive structure, but it doesn't really rate against older stations.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2011, 12:50 

It's really two stations, a country station opened in 1906 (originally called Sydney Terminal) and an adjoining suburban station opened in 1926 (originally called Central Electric). Although it's not without interest, the suburban station is not of great architectural merit and, in any case, is probably taken for granted by most Sydneysiders.

The country station on the other hand, to me, is one of Sydney's great sandstone buildings, with its cedar doorways and ornate stained glass windows. There's more to it than just the station building too - there's the long ramp leading from Pitt Street, the sandstone colonnade in Eddy Avenue and the approach to the station from Railway Square (more sandstone!). I think it compares more than favourably with other similar station buildings.

I suppose it's used mainly for suburban and interurban travel these days. The growth in air and coach travel and the contraction of the country rail service have had a major impact on the number of passengers using the older station. At some times of the day, the country station (platforms 1-15) sees very little traffic, but at other times it can still get busy. It's a popular meeting spot too. It is one of Sydney's most recognisable landmarks.

I might also add that I posted some photographs of the country station (not the suburban one) a few months back in another thread:

http://www.walkingmelbourne.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6396