A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 24 Feb 2017, 10:21

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 22:05 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Can just rock up and easily get a tour. My brother has been up there this week and I was on the phone with him about it this evening and he said he just walked in and joined one.

And know the place for the first time.” -T.S Eliot

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 09:08 

Yes, just walk right in, pay your $2 admission, and you will be told when the next tour begins.

We also went to the Australian War Memorial and for those that have not been there, I strongly suggest taking a guided tour there also. The tour covers the mermorial itself, where some fascinating stories are told by the guide, and the highlights of the two world war museums. It is easy to go back after the tour to re-visit things of interest, and continue on to the post-1945 museum that includes Korea and Vietnam as well as the modern day conflicts. From there, access is gained to the bridge of HMAS Brisbane. There are also regular sound-and-light shows in the hall where 'G for George' and the miniature Japanese submarine are kept.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 10:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

williampitt wrote:
I guess I am biased against Canberra from a bad food poisoning episode from the place's celebrated restaurant precinct - Dickson.

I was told that the place was the bomb, but the only thing that exploded was my guts.

You didn't have that fateful meal at the Dickson Tradies Club by any chance - the one using old trams from various Australian cities as eating booths? It's never likely to win any awards for its cuisine - I recall 20 different sorts of parmis!

Apparently all but one of the trams has now been removed.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 21:49 

Heh. We stayed in downtown Kingston; I did some research and decided it was a good place to stay because of its many restaurants. What I didn't know until we got there was that half of them were just like La Porchetta! :?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 08:55 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Corio wrote:
williampitt wrote:
I guess I am biased against Canberra from a bad food poisoning episode from the place's celebrated restaurant precinct - Dickson.

I was told that the place was the bomb, but the only thing that exploded was my guts.

You didn't have that fateful meal at the Dickson Tradies Club by any chance - the one using old trams from various Australian cities as eating booths? It's never likely to win any awards for its cuisine - I recall 20 different sorts of parmis!

Apparently all but one of the trams has now been removed.

Funny you mention it, saw that place, thought the trams looked tacky and tried somewhere else. I think the place that made me sick was Thai or Indian whatever it was was pretty bad.