All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Brutalist Brisbane
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2012, 02:02 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Corio wrote:
I reckon the State Offices in Geelong is a brutalist classic, but many people consider the ugliest building in the city and want it demolished.

Being a 'brutalist classic' and the 'ugliest building in the city' are not mutually exclusive. It can be both! :P
That said it doesn't look too bad!

And know the place for the first time.” -T.S Eliot

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2012, 08:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

drbuc wrote:
Corio wrote:
I reckon the State Offices in Geelong is a brutalist classic, but many people consider the ugliest building in the city and want it demolished.

Being a 'brutalist classic' and the 'ugliest building in the city' are not mutually exclusive. It can be both! :P
That said it doesn't look too bad!

Absolutely. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The biggest thing about brutalism is it tends to be both big and bold. Buildings on such a grand scale can be amazing in face of their ugliness. I must say that I have always admired the QPAC and the original State Library in Queensland. Their scale and consistency is impressive and the way you can literally walk on top of and between the buildings is impressive in design. But I think they kind of butchered the library with the redevelopment and therefore that certain landmark public buildings like these buildings should be protected.

But the problem with brutalism is you definitely can get too much of a good thing. Take Canberra for example or Melbourne's housing commission clusters. And others I just don't know. Brisbanes Law Courts are just horribly oppressive but I guess they were designed to scare criminals.

But I don't think it works well with hirise, that much concrete is just too in your face.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013, 11:10 

Highriser wrote:
One example of brutalist architecture being saved in each capital city is probably sufficient in my opinion, if only as a lesson on how not to design a building. Ask the general public who know nothing of architecture but know what they like, hey that's me, I doubt many would want to save brutalist buildings. Show them a Victorian,
Federation or Art Deco building and they will cry out to save it.

I don't particularly like most art deco but I know that others do. I do like post modern and brutalist, which one could say is in it malaise period (especially brutalist) and thus a target for contempt and in turn demolition. Art Deco was probably like that at some point in time but maybe was not such a target during those times as there may have been less redevelopment taking place? There's also the fitness for purpose question, and in these times I believe the brutalist architecture still retains a high level of fitness for purpose and merely require renovation and some minor restyling to become contemporary, or less ugly to those who somehow dislike the style.

Warning: I am not an architect or have anything to do with building so I may have no idea of what I'm talking about.