It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 05:30

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 11:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The Age wrote:
http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/developer-to-keep-twin-towers-design-20111212-1ortw.html

Developer to keep 'Twin Towers' design
December 13, 2011

A South Korean developer says it will not alter the design of a twin-tower project despite complaints in the United States that it mimics the explosions at New York's World Trade Centre in 2001.

The towers, one with 54 floors and the other with 60, are designed by Dutch architects MVRDV and will be built at the entrance to Seoul’s redeveloped Yongsan business district by 2016.

The towers will be connected midway up by a cloud-shaped bridging section that will house amenities including sky lounges, a swimming pool and restaurants.

But families of victims of the 9/11 attacks see a marked resemblance between the project known as The Cloud and the clouds of debris that billowed from the World Trade Centre after hijacked airliners ploughed into the towers.

"Allegations that it [the design] was inspired by the 9/11 attacks are groundless," said White Paik, spokesman for the Yongsan Development Corporation.

"There will be no revision or change in our project," he said, adding that construction would begin in January 2013 as scheduled.

MVRDV said it "regrets deeply" any painful connotations.

"It was not our intention to create an image resembling the attacks nor did we see the resemblance during the design process," it said in a statement on its website.

"We sincerely apologise to anyone whose feelings we have hurt," it added.

Jim Riches, a retired New York deputy fire chief whose son was killed on 9/11, said he did not believe the architects.

"It looks just like the towers imploding," the New York Daily News quoted him as saying. "I think they’re trying to sensationalise it. It’s a cheap way to get publicity.”

AFP

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/ ... z1gMzkYQ4q

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 13:18 

I don't believe the architects either. There's a number of ways to design both a connecting bridge and have jutting-out extensions, and they ended up with a design that just happens to resemble the iconic footage of the towers collapsing?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 21:00 
Elite Member
Elite Member

There's no doubt in my mind that this design is based on the imploding 9-11 towers. It does beg the question why? Publicity? Such a curious approach to gathering it.

Is it wrong to evoke tragedy through architecture? I'm not sure it is...especially with such an interesting take. However, I do have a problem with the architects denying it. If it is a honest denial, they should acknowledge the similarities that have been pointed out, and then justify their design with that in mind.

An interesting controversy...

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 21:30 
Elite Member
Elite Member

I disagree. I Do not believe they were based on the twin towers. I think it is a take on the term skyscaper, and that it is up in the clouds. To look at it didn't even occur to me that it looked somewhat similar to collapsing towers. And once heard I can sort of see it, but am unconvinced.

On the off chance that they did base it on the towers, to those who say they find it offensive, then don't go to Seoul...

And know the place for the first time.” -T.S Eliot

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 22:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm with Zxath on his one.

If the design is based on the demise of the Twin Towers, it is an extremely insensitive and crass thing to do. If it isn't, then the similarities are still there nevertheless, and shouldn't be defended purely on the basis that it is a coincidence.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 09:38 
Elite Member
Elite Member

At the same time - it is being built in Korea, not in America let alone New York. Bit pof a distance.
And despite what Americans and America-philes would like to think. The 9/11 attacks were not considered a major event in every corner of the globe. Big in the "West", but in other places in the globe it was barely a blip on the radar, and Americans should stop being self centred, and expecting people from other nations to tip toe around their feelings when by and large they disrespect and ignore the feelings of people outside their borders.

And know the place for the first time.” -T.S Eliot