Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 21:59

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 11:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Thanks for your all your detailed comments alex. I've only been to Docklands once, when I became lost while driving in the area a few years ago! However it's an important development and you're helping me become better informed about it.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 12:04 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Alex, you're right, I rarely go to the Docklands, and don't know it very well. That's because it has little enough to entice me, let alone a tourist, over other MCC suburbs. These innercity areas are the soul that attracts the tourist and gives them the cultural experience that they know as Melbourne.

It's debatable whether the Docklands has much to offer visiting Melbournians or tourists. Hence our discussion.

Any suggestions on my part, were only offered as a way to inject (no pun intended) The Docklands with some sort of inner city character and excitement.

This is well within any Melbournians right. I live like you do, paying rates to the MCC. To describe me as an outsider because I don't live, work or visit the Docklands, is so territorial (and a bit obtuse on this website). Would you also deny someone in the next street from having a say in your street's issues because they don't live there?

Your views are blatant NIMBYP and sound a bit snobbish... On your part, to only want high brow cultural additions to the area, obviously means you just don't want riff raff in your backyard. (except for a generous concession to bogan visitors in the Melbourne eye area).

You'd be aware that all other inner city suburbs have a social diversity commitment. Hence the sometimes obnoxious presence of Housing commission flats, etc. So, devoid of these, you'd wish to further exclude alternative artists, as they would iyo bring the drugs and violence etc.?

Regardless, I'd relax, Alex. The homogenized character of the area that you so love is unlikely to change for the foreseeable future, if ever.

Btw, Alex, corporate is commercial.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 12:36 

OK Zxath I've got the message. I'll pull my head in and go elsewhere.

I had thought that a forum about Melbourne's built environment might be interested to pore over Docklands and examine its environmentally sustainable urban design principles which have become a benchmark internationally. I would have thought those contributing to a forum about Melbourne's built environment might at least gone out of their way to investigate and wander through internatally awarded buildings like the ANZ building and many others, but apparently not. As a practising architect it continues to concern me that people will pass comment without first investigating. My colleagues will be most amused that I have been described as a NIMBY snob who doesn't appreciate diversity given their knowledge of the projects I choose to involve myself in.

Call me a snob, which I'm sure you all will, but I think I'll go back to discussing architecture and urban design in the professional closed users groups - there, that's already sounding elitist.

Alex

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 13:28 
Elite Member
Elite Member

:shock:

Alex, I don't care if you pull your head in or out, go elsewhere or stay.

Written forums are not the best form of communication, but try and focus on the issues raised and what IS written, rather than flapping about because someone has a different viewpoint to yours.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 17:41 
Site Admin
Site Admin

alex wrote:
I had thought that a forum about Melbourne's built environment might be interested to pore over Docklands and examine its environmentally sustainable urban design principles which have become a benchmark internationally. I would have thought those contributing to a forum about Melbourne's built environment might at least gone out of their way to investigate and wander through internatally awarded buildings like the ANZ building and many others, but apparently not.
Alex

Of course we do ! More than anywhere else I've seen online people here appreciate diversity - most of us are very keen on Melbourne Open House and have appreciated the buildings you mention for what they are. I also know that most of the people who post here are concerned about environmental issues far beyond grandstanding architectural credentials. I think everyone knows that the issue of Docklands soul is a moot point but I can see how some people could get upset when it is claimed that the area lacks a soul. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and it is natural to make such a claim about a suburb that is still developing. Some would have said that about places like St Kilda in the 1850s. But personally I don't think that internationally acclaimed sustainable urban design principles in itself creates a soul, nor that because ANZ staff prefer to work in the new ANZ building creates a soul, especially when these campuses are currently so disconnected and disparate. And certainly not everyone in Melbourne works at ANZ's headquarters. The same arguments could be applied to the MCG. To me, the MCG just really doesn't feel the same since its redevelopment, despite its redevelopment. I actually get as much sense of soul at Docklands stadium as the 'G these days which is pretty strange considering its rich history and efforts to maintain some continuity with it. I think there is a general issue with generic contemporary architecture.

I think diversity is good, without it there would be no discussion, so I would recommend you stick around and that everyone else here be tolerant of different opinions for exactly the same reason.

Cheers !

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2011, 14:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The remodelling of VR Goods Shed No 2 has commenced.

Apparently they are modifying part of the remaining section to make it a mirror image of the preserved section on the opposite side of the road.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next