Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 19 Dec 2017, 09:21

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Camberwell Junction
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 18:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... 51251.html

From The Age

Green light at Camberwell Junction

Camberwell development.
Cameron Houston
February 7, 2008

VICTORIA'S planning tribunal has sent a blunt message to opponents of large-scale development in the suburbs after approving a contentious plan for high-rise towers in the heart of Camberwell.

The plan by developer FKP Property Group for three large buildings at Camberwell Junction has been approved by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, which has infuriated residents who accused Planning Minister Justin Madden of interfering in the process.

The move has also angered Boroondara council, which has called for a comprehensive review of the Melbourne 2030 planning policy.

VCAT senior member Anthony Liston said residents of Melbourne's inner suburbs had to accept the need for higher-density development to accommodate rapid population growth.

"The time has come for Camberwell to play its part in the 2030 solution to Melbourne's housing needs, and there is no better spot to fulfil this need than this site," Mr Liston said in his ruling.

"If a development such as this one cannot locate in this expansive Camberwell Junction, where can it go?"

The design by Wood Marsh Architecture includes a 14-storey office tower and two separate nine-storey buildings with 106 apartments.

The VCAT decision could set a precedent for the proposed $45 million mixed-used redevelopment of nearby Camberwell Station, which is awaiting council planning approval.

Boroondara Residents Action Group president Jack Roach said the decision would ruin Camberwell and accused the Planning Minister of influencing the tribunal hearing outcome.

"VCAT is far from being independent and has become an arm of government to carry out its wishes. I point out that 70% of the VCAT decisions in Boroondara have been in favour of the developer," Mr Roach said.

In a submission to VCAT in November, Mr Madden said the development of the former Henley Honda site at Camberwell Junction was an important step for the Melbourne 2030 policy and would set a benchmark for future development in the area.

Mr Roach said the action group would consider a legal challenge in the Supreme Court.

But Randal Marsh, director of Wood Marsh, said the design was ideally suited to Camberwell Junction, which was designated a principal activity centre under Melbourne 2030.

"With an increased demand for housing, we have to eventually accept the need for higher density. Urban sprawl cannot continue and the cost involved in infrastructure are simply unsustainable," Mr Marsh said.

Another action group spokeswoman, Mary Drost, said she was disgusted by the decision.

"We are already having huge amount of people coming into this area and I don't see why we should accommodate any more," Mrs Drost said.

"This has nothing to do with Melbourne 2030 and it all about kowtowing to developers' greed.

"This green building will look like Shrek rising out of the middle of Camberwell."

Boroondara Mayor Coral Ross said the building would stick out like a sore thumb.

"There continues to be an obsession to accommodate additional growth at the expense of legitimate community expectations for a liveable environment," Cr Ross said.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Like Camberwell station - I suspect alot of the protests there against this development are as much about keeping the "wrong" types of people out as much as retaining some mythical urban character.
The site for this development is an ugly car yard, this is an attractive and appropriate development for the site in my opinion. :roll:

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/

Post subject: Re: Camberwell Junction
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 18:49 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

A larger image of the proposed development, thanks to Aussie Steve.
Like I said, I like this! :banana:

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 22:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The design is okay (not bad but not great). But the location is not appropriate, though could be worse I guess.

Much of the historical fabric of the Camberwell Junction is lost:

The Post Office is long demolished:

The wedge-shaped 1930's shops are in a poor condition, much altered and of little heritage value as individual shops or maybe even as a streetscape (but they have restorative potential):

The Dillon's Buildings (altered at ground level) are about all that's intact of any notable heritage value:

Whilst I am not keen on this, I guess the argument against is not as strong as it could be, except of course in relation to height. And that's a good argument for scaling this down.

We have the Melbourne Docklands - a wasted opportunity. That should be filled with cheaper housing to assist with this perceived housing crisis rather than spacing it out like a wilderness zone.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again - we need decentralisation reintroduced. Build up Ballarat, Warrnambool, Mildura, Sale, Shepparton and Bendigo as bigger regional centres to absorb the growth rather than turning Melbourne into a mini-Tokyo. Why does everyone have to settle in Melbourne? If more jobs in diverse industries were created in the regional centres, they could be promoted as alternatives to Melbourne.

Otherwise we'll have to continue to endure these grossly oversized developments in inappropriate locations for years to come. And VCAT have no qualms about overriding local planning laws.

So in a nutshell - I am not too keen on this.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2008, 10:26 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The development is in keeping with the scale of the row of 1970s buildings on that side of the junction and additions on the other side of the road.

I don't think the design is especially in keeping with the style of Camberwell and I agree with Olderfleet's Docklands comment.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2008, 13:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

VCAT conclusions on the Henly Honda development:

We ask rhetorically, if a development such as this one cannot locate in this expansive Camberwell Junction, where can it go?

Suburbs and the opinions of their residents are very important. But they do not sit in isolation from their metropolitan context. Suburbs have a part to play within the greater metropolis and they must do so. The time has come for Camberwell to play its part in the 2030 solution to Melbourne’s housing needs, and there is no better spot to fulfil this need than this site.

The Camberwell Junction has been earmarked for this role since 1981, and again in the 21st century by its nomination as a Principal Activity Centre. This site in particular has been recognised as a key development site since the 1993 Strategy Plan.

In marked contrast to other parts of the Activity Centre, the local planning policy framework in the Plan accompanying clause 22.02 was satisfied to leave it to ‘development approval’ to determine the appropriate height for this key strategic site. And we are satisfied to grant this approval.

Height in and of itself is neither a positive nor a negative value. It is the proposals context and design that are its key attributes or values. We acknowledge that this central tower will be a conspicuous addition to Camberwell Junction but believe its design is outstanding. The ovoid towers have an uncluttered simplicity of form and style and specifically address the Junction. The arrangement of the podium is both ingenious and site responsive.

All the evidence points to the fact that this building will create a civic presence in Camberwell Junction, an outcome clearly expressed in council’s draft Camberwell Junction structure plan dated 12 July 2007. It will inject not only change but also vitality and design excellence into Camberwell’s robust Principal Activity Centre. The design will enliven Melbourne 2030’s policy to house Melbourne’s growing population including Camberwell’s ageing residents who wish to stay in the area they love so much.

In relation to traffic:

Ever increasing traffic volumes have been a feature of our society since motor vehicles first used our roads last century. Government policies aim to reduce our dependence on motor vehicles by, amongst other things, encouraging new development into areas already well served by public transport and by trying to better match housing and work places. Rejecting new development on sites such as the review site does not mean that the traffic situation will improve or stop getting worse. Allowing new development on sites such as this, located close to public transport, in a long established and very important centre and in areas where people live nearby, may eventually encourage a slowdown in the growth of traffic volumes.
It may be an optimistic and long-term outcome, but it is one that planning policy seeks to achieve.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2008, 13:22 

Hell that's ugly!!!

I am one of the infuriated residents. I feel like punching people in the head for this!! :x

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next