Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 21:53

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Camberwell Junction
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2008, 16:39 

Wow, who would have though sleepy old Camberwell would provoke such passionate (and puerile) debate; Barry and Geoffrey must be good poster childs.

Personally I am for this development (although wouldn't be upset if it was reduced in height), and I live in the area. The building(s) (as far as can be seen from the renders) provides a suitable and striking backdrop to the old Henley Honda bank building, and creates a pleasing contrast between two styles. It/they also go along way in hiding the blank wall eyesore further up the hill on Burke Rd and create a sorely needed street frontage for that corner of the junction not to mention a striking visual point of reference and counterpoint to the beautiful old basilica up the hill.

Furthermore they will increase the vibrancy of the area - an already busy shopping and entertainment strip. They are in an excellent position to take advantage of public transport, being situated on three tramlines and within easy walking distance to Camberwell railway station, reducing reliance on cars.

I am only encouraged by previous examples of buildings by this architectural firm, and believe that the execution of these buildings will be of a high quality. Cost cutting can occur however so the finished product may be less than hoped for.

I believe in no way do they destroy the 'character' of the area, which is already a mish mash of various styles (in various levels of repair) and is in many ways confused about itself. I think that this development coupled with 'The Well' and the proposed Railway station redevelopment are taking the right steps for Camberwell’s future.

I was previously hoping for a public square/open space on this site, but the inclusion of a plaza in the proposed Railway station plans has somewhat assuaged this wariness; as has the Camberwell Junction draft plan by the Boorondara council, which shows provisions for a square next to Borders and The Well, in addition to more public open space next to the Camberwell market.

goatrooster: You may very well be right, but we all must find our own path to nirvana.

Blur: Please don't punch me if you pass me in the street! :wink:
Your points are valid and I can see your point of view. There is not much in the junction of a similar style to this but this in of it's self shouldn't be a reason to stop the development. If we followed this argument then all knew construction must conform to the style of any nearby buildings. Melbourne would be still comprised of bark huts put up in imitation of Batman's first hovel! Stretching the point I know, but I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from.

I believe it will stand out, but I believe this to be a good thing. I think it'll create a more interesting streetscape and skyline for the area. Difference of opinion pure and simple.

The Olderfleet: The post office is a horrible loss. What we have on that corner now is a travesty. If only they reused it like Kew’s post office.

That's my two cents anyway. :D

-burger; while in New York
hungry oleaginous corporations
smile greedily.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2008, 16:43 

Here is the site in question:

They have already begun soil testing and surveying.

-burger; while in New York
hungry oleaginous corporations
smile greedily.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2008, 08:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

gappa wrote:
Wow, who would have though sleepy old Camberwell would provoke such passionate (and puerile) debate; Barry and Geoffrey must be good poster childs.

Personally I am for this development (although wouldn't be upset if it was reduced in height), and I live in the area. The building(s) (as far as can be seen from the renders) provides a suitable and striking backdrop to the old Henley Honda bank building, and creates a pleasing contrast between two styles. It/they also go along way in hiding the blank wall eyesore further up the hill on Burke Rd and create a sorely needed street frontage for that corner of the junction not to mention a striking visual point of reference and counterpoint to the beautiful old basilica up the hill.

Furthermore they will increase the vibrancy of the area - an already busy shopping and entertainment strip. They are in an excellent position to take advantage of public transport, being situated on three tramlines and within easy walking distance to Camberwell railway station, reducing reliance on cars.

I am only encouraged by previous examples of buildings by this architectural firm, and believe that the execution of these buildings will be of a high quality. Cost cutting can occur however so the finished product may be less than hoped for.

I believe in no way do they destroy the 'character' of the area, which is already a mish mash of various styles (in various levels of repair) and is in many ways confused about itself. I think that this development coupled with 'The Well' and the proposed Railway station redevelopment are taking the right steps for Camberwell’s future.

I was previously hoping for a public square/open space on this site, but the inclusion of a plaza in the proposed Railway station plans has somewhat assuaged this wariness; as has the Camberwell Junction draft plan by the Boorondara council, which shows provisions for a square next to Borders and The Well, in addition to more public open space next to the Camberwell market.

goatrooster: You may very well be right, but we all must find our own path to nirvana.

Blur: Please don't punch me if you pass me in the street! :wink:
Your points are valid and I can see your point of view. There is not much in the junction of a similar style to this but this in of it's self shouldn't be a reason to stop the development. If we followed this argument then all knew construction must conform to the style of any nearby buildings. Melbourne would be still comprised of bark huts put up in imitation of Batman's first hovel! Stretching the point I know, but I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from.

I believe it will stand out, but I believe this to be a good thing. I think it'll create a more interesting streetscape and skyline for the area. Difference of opinion pure and simple.

The Olderfleet: The post office is a horrible loss. What we have on that corner now is a travesty. If only they reused it like Kew’s post office.

That's my two cents anyway. :D

Gappa, so well articulated, I salute you. =D>

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 14:28 

Nope, I will not punch you in the street, Gappa. 8) :D

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 11:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

http://business.theage.com.au/business/aerial-clearance-at-the-junction-20090908-fg2h.html

From The Age

Aerial clearance at the junction
NATALIE CRAIG
September 9, 2009

THE first stage of a long-awaited redevelopment at Camberwell Junction will begin this month with the transformation of a 19th century bank building into an 80-seat restaurant.

Queensland developer FKP has confirmed that work is set to begin on a $500,000 conversion of the heritage-listed English, Scottish and Australian Bank building, including restoration of its roof and Gothic features and reinstatement of a verandah.

The bank is part of the former Henley Honda site on the corner of Riversdale and Burke roads that has been at the centre of a long-running planning fracas between Camberwell and Hawthorn residents and the State Government.

Planning Minister Justin Madden intervened in 2007 in the VCAT case regarding the site in an effort to accelerate the development. Camberwell Junction has been designated a major activity centre under the Melbourne 2030 guidelines.

Approval was last month granted for the ''Aerial'' building comprising 144 apartments - 38 more than originally proposed. An FKP spokesman said ''changing market conditions'' meant the developer scrapped its original plans for office space in favour of more apartments.

He vehemently denied rumours the company wanted to sell the site, and said it was waiting for the Boroondara City Council to endorse the plans before marketing of the apartments started in November.

FKP posted a loss of $319.4 million last financial year but has reduced its gearing and freed-up cash with a $324 million equity raising and asset sales, including the sale of the TAC building in Geelong in March for $75 million.

FKP residential manager Evian Delfabbro said the bank conversion would improve access to the building.

''The ES&A Bank was a focal point for Camberwell,'' Mr Delfabbro said. ''What we're doing now will bring it back to life as a place where residents, shoppers and business people can interact.''

The Rivoli Theatre is close to the site, and recently sold to the Zig Inge Group for $20.2 million. The owners have no plans for redevelopment and say the 1940s art deco building will remain in its current form.

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 14:26 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the update Collector.

The article tends to pump up the opening of the restaurant in the heritage building. However the old bank will look very out of place ! So much so that from an aesthetic point of view, it loses significant heritage value.

From a design perspective it would have been nice if they were able to address both that and the big blank white wall of the 70s building next door. They might have been better off to somehow join to it to maintain some rhythm with the existing streetscape. In this respect it definitely favours sculptural impact over urban design considerations. In any case even with the curves I can't imagine that the big white wall would be a desirable outlook for apartments in the south tower that face south ....

I like the way you post your favourite projects here ;) On most of them I agree, this one I think from an individual perspective is an exciting design, but I'm still not that it is necessarily good planning. Whether growth with sort these remaining problems out in the long run, I'm not sure.

One other question, why do most of Melbourne's projects involving heritage buildings seem to be driven by Brisbane and Sydney developers ? Where are our own developers ? Do they lack confidence in this market, shy away from heritage issues or do we just hear less about them ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next