Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 21:47

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Camberwell Junction
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 17:46 

Not Sure the Mercedes dealership would be happy about the skyscraper being built on top of it, but anywhey let the construction continue (Unfortunetly)

Last edited by Campaspe Park on 14 Jul 2011, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 22:49 

A post modern metal monster rises from a bland urban streetscape inappropriate and yet promising a more cosmopolitan future for Camberwell

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 23:03 
Elite Member
Elite Member

I'm not sure if I would call it inappropriate...

And know the place for the first time.” -T.S Eliot

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 00:33 

Coming from Essendon you may have not understood how this building clashes with the cultural perceptions and expectations of Boroondara residents. How this building and other buildings being constructed around Boroondara will effect the cultural environment is a mystery. The fact that these buildings were constructed despite the objections of the local community is seen by many as a serious infringement on the rights of residents to control the character of development in their neighbourhood

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 00:52 

What does the fact that the previous poster comes from Essendon have to do with anything? Do the residents of Camberwell own the moral high ground when it comes to redevelopment? This building is in a shopping centre, and replaced an ugly car dealership! It is not destroying local streetscapes or demolishing precious housing from previous eras and replacing them with large blocks - which are where the term inappropriate should be used and which ratepayers of Boroondara should be really concerned about. have a look at Monomeath Avenue in Canterbury - from a gracious street to one of Melbourne's ugliest streets now. It is not all that long ago that the residents of Camberwell were up in arms about another development at the Junction - the installation of traffic lights!

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 10:14 

I was highly amused by the response to my previous statement. I was suggesting that not being a resident of the area that the respondent may not have seen or been aware of the strength of opposition to this project. The local newspaper provided extensive coverage of the fight over this development. The following article was taken from the progress press newspaper and this newspaper is not distributed to the residents of Essendon. My position was and remains

That many view the rights of residents to control the types and nature of buildings contracted in their area. The Victorian Labour government took these rights away from the residents of all areas and allowed many unpopular projects to go ahead. The process by which the rights of local residents are being ignored so that state and federal government can peruse population strategies is seen by many as inappropriate and unacceptable

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next