Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 21:59

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2010, 17:28 
Elite Member
Elite Member

That end up kinda reminds me of a time I put an acetate sheet in the wrong feeder of a photocopier and it came out all melted in crinkles.
Maybe outstanding design means 'ohh colours, funny shapes, different stuff, windows, shiny!'

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 20:34 

Hi guys, been a while I must say...

I know it's an old thread, but has anyone had a chance to see how this project is progressing?
I spent my early to late teens in the area, and I was quite surprised that something like this would go ahead.
I have been in Bendigo & Ballarat the last couple of years and was horrified to do the old cruise through the junction and see that many of the old palm trees have been removed and the tram stop turned into something like a military helicopter-pad... :shock:

And now, with this group of old buildings gone, a Macca's across the road, and a dumpy police yard next door to that, the only remaining vestige of the areas' built character from that central viewpoint will be the beginning of the Acland street precinct.. :? At least the quaintly slanting Vineyard bar is still there... one of my favorites in the blurry old days of the early - mid 90's =P~

I am in no way opposed to development, but do we really need to completely bulldoze the central aspect of an extremely iconic precinct and replace it with something that opposes all that surrounds it in both aesthetics and scale?? I must say it is of course really no surprise, and as we all know, it's all about the coin, but sriously... :roll:

Thanks for the ear fellas, take care.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2011, 09:11 
Site Admin
Site Admin

crackedpiston wrote:
Hi guys, been a while I must say...

I know it's an old thread, but has anyone had a chance to see how this project is progressing?
I spent my early to late teens in the area, and I was quite surprised that something like this would go ahead.
I have been in Bendigo & Ballarat the last couple of years and was horrified to do the old cruise through the junction and see that many of the old palm trees have been removed and the tram stop turned into something like a military helicopter-pad... :shock:

And now, with this group of old buildings gone, a Macca's across the road, and a dumpy police yard next door to that, the only remaining vestige of the areas' built character from that central viewpoint will be the beginning of the Acland street precinct.. :? At least the quaintly slanting Vineyard bar is still there... one of my favorites in the blurry old days of the early - mid 90's =P~

I am in no way opposed to development, but do we really need to completely bulldoze the central aspect of an extremely iconic precinct and replace it with something that opposes all that surrounds it in both aesthetics and scale?? I must say it is of course really no surprise, and as we all know, it's all about the coin, but sriously... :roll:

Thanks for the ear fellas, take care.

Hey crackedpiston. As a fellow ex-St Kildan, now in Ballarat I completely agree with you. Changes to the built form are really the tip of the iceberg. The St Kildaness is rapidly disappearing and its increasingly becoming a tryhard Bondi. I think Paul Hester was right when he predicted the place was dying due to poor planning. Other prominent residents like Dave Hughes, etc have also expressed disappointment at some of the changes you mention.

Despite the gentrification, some things remain, the Gatwick, prostitution, crime, the Maccas etc. But the better aspects are being eroded and most of the institutions gone. The artists, for example is increasingly moving to Collingwood and Brunswick. St Kilda is now pretty much overrun by tourists from the UK, you know, the sort that live eat and breathe "Neighbours". But the biggest change has been the influx of total knobs, you know the kind I mean, cashed up B-grade celebs, metrosexual professional sportsmen and 20 somethings who have nothing better to do than spend their money on drugs, party 24x7, pick fights with everyone and piss and spew on everything they see. The same thing that killed Surfers Paradise in the 90s.

I think the rot started when the state government started pulling all control away from Port Phillip Council and took away any form of public consultation, licencing more venues without so much as considering a public toilet. THe Traingle was an effort to get some back, but the council has little to no say anymore over what happens in the suburb. Its been treated like the showcase of Melbourne 2030 even though its transport infrastructure is really not up to it and population is already overstressed.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2011, 14:36 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mr Pitt, don't beat about the bush. Tell us what you really think. For what is worth, I agree with you. On a fine Sunday, it is extraordinary how many people like to visit St Kilda. Four different tram routes feeding thousands of people into the area, never mind those who circle the streets by car looking for parking in vain. I find it quite pleasant on a normal weekday but would never go there on a weekend.

I am not sure that having a higher population density in what is already the mostly densely populated area of Melbourne is what our government should be aiming for.

Ground works are well underway for the construction of Face.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2011, 18:00 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Highriser as someone who spend his whole childhood dreaming of living in St Kilda and in Melbourne, I loved it heaps for the time I did live there I put up with all kinds of things, and was sad to leave, but at the same time it was sadder to see it 'degenerate' the way it was. The traffic you mention is of course on of the big problems. The last time I visited I was very glad to have gotten out of there when I did. St Kilda doesn't have the density of Port Melbourne or Southbank, but it certainly has a much higher density of senseless yobs. And the new developments reflect the sheer tastelessness of the nouveau St Kilda. The truth is I prefer the wierdos, hookers and the junkies to the types of people that frequent St Kilda these days. You could not pay me to live there again.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2011, 13:00 

Thanks for the reply gentlemen...

It's funny, but St Kilda always had that sort of Venecian feel, a sort of holiday atmosphere even though we only lived a few k's away, particularly when sitting on the front steps of the Espy' enjoying a brew on a Sunday arvo... I don't know, but it felt like the area was at human scale. Yes, the traffic was always bad, but somehow that just adds to the 'feel' of it... we just had no illusion about ever finding a park anywhere near where we wanted to go, and the decent walk from where we actually parked the car in a way hightened the sense of what Mr Pitt describes as the 'StKildaness' of the area - ie: worn red bricks, cracked footpaths, chimney pots & palm trees... And what a nice thing that was, especially when coming from places like Chadstone, Doncaster and Rowville, that have spent squillions on development but will never be places where people actually want to be. On the other hand, the more St Kilda crumbled, the more us young hipsters wanted to hang out there... I think the turning point for me was the demolition of the Espy's public bar - a place that was more like the Mos Isley Bar in Star Wars - and its replacement with a funky kitchen and eatery. Don't get me wrong, great food, but something just didn't sit right when I saw a birthday party being held there for a 5 year old in the exact place where, only a few years before, I had rolled a doobie for me and my jolly mates. :wink: After that, it seemed that every idiot was now giving the CBD a miss and preferring to bring their arrogance and completely irresponsible drunken behaviour to Fitzroy & Acland St.
And now that the cashed-up, botox-filled narcissistic punter is the main source of income for most businesses down there, it is only fitting that development devoid of substance and depth should be offered for them to be able to show their friends how cool they are.
At least Chadstone is within its own context... :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next