A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 21:49

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2011, 10:07 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Well several people on here were critisising them for their choices, and for who they are in general, as well as their assumed previous residences. But it is about the Face

And know the place for the first time.” -T.S Eliot

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2011, 10:54 

drbuc wrote:
Well several people on here were critisising them for their choices, and for who they are in general, as well as their assumed previous residences. But it is about the Face

Sorry if I came across the wrong way mate - the issue here is the demolition of an iconic streetscape for the sake of a fairly uninspiring development. The fact that there are different types of people inhabiting/enjoying the area nowadays isn't the problem, it's the loss of it's architectural identity that worries me...

Oh, and I wasn't mentioning those other suburbs as a generalisation - I AM originally from Chadstone, with mates who live in Rowville and Doncaster, and what I said about the difference between those places and the one in question is true - why else would we go there?? We had pubs and clubs in the 'burbs, but they just didn't have the same appeal...

But now that I'm older I realise that regardless of where you are, a VB is still a VB :lol:

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2011, 12:45 

With a suburb like St Kilda there are two different factors at play. Those who live there and those who visit there.

Many suburbs go through periods of gentrification or decay. I think we can expect continued gentrification of the inner suburbs and hopefully planning authorities wil endeavour to see that this gentrification doesn’t obliterate the worthwhile parts of the are’s heritage.

However, unlike Glen Iris or Caroline Springs or the business precinct of Docklands which were neither designed as entertainment destinations, St Kilda has long been aleisure hub but the nature of that leisure has changed dramatically in the last 30 years. When my cousin bought a house they, he knew where the streetwalker district was which few pubs were likely to become violent when they closed at ten o’clock. You could take the family to a café at night without being harassed and by late primary school his kids were walking unaccompanied to school. Over time many late night licences were granted and many owners began promoting themselves to cashed up hoons from distant suburbs.. By mid secondary school the kids again had to be accompanied to school because the druggies (unlike the winos who were mainly harmless) could often become irrational and violent.

Many of these changes had to be approved (and later) promoted by locala and state government. The St Kilda Festival is a good case in point. When my cousin moved in the St Kilda Festival had just started and consisted mainly of classical concerts in churches, family activities in the parks, Cool jazz at night in the cafes and plays written by local writers. Over time it changed into a huge drinking party in the street. The last straw for my cousin came after one St Kilda festival where his front windows were broken, his wife’s garden uprooted and used as a toilet and the children huddling in fear in the back room. He sold up (gentrification meant e got a good price) and moved to another suburb that was more like St Kilda was when he first moved thre. Financially he was better off but he had to uproot is kids from school and the friends in the area.

I mention all this not to say that one style of living or entertainment is better than another, but to underline the face that dramatic change usually generates winners and losers.

My cousin is normally a mild-mannered man. The only time he is not safe to be around is when some mindless person says to him “But you knew what it was like before you moved there.”

U.P

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 05:04 

Well, let me contribute to some continuation of this very interesting discussion by adding a lovely piece of the "other" Acland Street (closer to Fitzroy Street)!

Photo: Justawalker

Here is my beloved Myrnong Hall (I think it was restored circa 2005 - good work if yes =D>) reflecting the serenity and grandiose style of a yester-era! No developers, can touch it! [-X