Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: WRAP, Southbank
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2008, 09:05 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

http://www.wrapliving.com.au

WRAP, Southbank

A new era of style and quality has arrived with WRAP. This remarkable 41-storey mixed-use development in Southbank features 176 private apartments and a 108-room hotel offering impeccable quality and unsurpassed service.

As a resident you will enjoy all the luxuries and benefits of a boutique hotel with all the lifestyle trimmings: such as, in-room service, sauna, pool, gym, business centre and an opulent lobby with cafe and bar.

http://www.realestatesource.com.au/Victoria/Plus-Architecture-Designs-New-Southbank-Building.html

Plus Architecture Designs New Southbank Building
Written by Marc Pallisco
Tuesday, 02 September 2008

Boutique designers Plus Architecture have released pictures of its new Wrap Southbank apartment building, to be developed at 133–139 City Road, near the corner of Southbank Boulevard.

The 41-level building, being developed by Baracon, will include 176 apartments and penthouses marketed to owner-occupiers, as well as 108 lower level hotel rooms to be sold as investments, and leased to a hotel operator.

A gymnasium, pool and business centre is also in the building, which will include ground floor retail.

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/

Post subject: Re: WRAP, Southbank
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2008, 20:35 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

They seem to have borrowed from the Bird's Nest.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2009, 18:34 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone want to take a stab at classifying this new strain of deconstructivist expression which seems to be appearing where there is decorative random looking structures on the outside of the building ?

Seems to be a recent trend. The new Southbank recital centre and Triangle proposal also do it.

I actually like it. Decoration of any kind is more interesting than bland modernism. And they always look different from different angles. As long as it isn't overdone I think it looks great. Anything that can break down and hide the necessary blight of modern balconies is great in my opinion. Sure beats Central Equity. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2009, 19:42 
Elite Member
Elite Member

I like the style, but with this one I don't like the way there are so many different things going on on the one facade, I feel the wrapping or the colour would be more effective if they didn't mix in so many different elements. Also a lot of the wrapping feature on the lower levels simply mimics the actual line of the windows and floors, I think it would look better if it did something different and was a bit more crazy, like the MTC.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2009, 22:09 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tempesta wrote:
I like the style, but with this one I don't like the way there are so many different things going on on the one facade, I feel the wrapping or the colour would be more effective if they didn't mix in so many different elements. Also a lot of the wrapping feature on the lower levels simply mimics the actual line of the windows and floors, I think it would look better if it did something different and was a bit more crazy, like the MTC.

Would look interesting from the outside, but I daresay they didn't for more practical reasons. For example, I wonder how the people inside feel about the big diagonal bars cutting across their views ? Stylistic or annoying ? I guess people who pay for the expensive penthouses will put up with it, but for the others on a tighter budget it might mean the difference between purchasing here or elsewhere.

Given that they obviously aren't structural what could be cool though is some sort of translucent or mirrored, low reflection beams, but they'd probably cost a lot more.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 10:07 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Wrap project has apparently been cancelled ...

http://www.realestatesource.com.au/bara ... hbank.html

Seems a shame as it was one of the few exciting designs going up in an otherwise bland Southbank cluster.