A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 06:23

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 16:35 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmm ... curious. Certainly hope they don't wreck the old markets. I assume they are referring to the large disused carpark at the southern end. The northern end of town certainly does need something more than the markets to make it a vibrant place to visit.

Quote:
Fed Square of the north' plan for Queen Vic
SARAH-JANE COLLINS
May 10, 2010
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/fed-s ... -uls0.html

The City Council’s infrastructure plan includes $3 million for the Queen Victoria Market (foreground).
MELBOURNE City Council wants to turn Queen Victoria Market into the ''Federation Square of the north'' as part of an ambitious $14.4 million plan outlined in the council's draft budget, released today.

The infrastructure plan, which allocates $3.14 million to the Queen Vic project, also outlines projects including a new library in Docklands and a redevelopment of the former JH Boyd Girls High School in Southbank.

Lord mayor Robert Doyle said the infrastructure fund was an essential plank of the council's budget.

''There is no doubt that that is the lasting legacy of the city … Great streets equal a great city and I felt one of the things I wanted to do was really invest in the infrastructure of the city,'' he said.

The Queen Victoria Market plan is not yet finalised, but the first stage, including beautifying Queen Street, is funded in the draft budget.

Cr Doyle said Queen Street would become a pedestrian precinct and a focal point for community events held at the market.

''What we want to do is spend considerable amounts of money to pedestrianise and beautify that Queen Street end,'' he said.

''Eventually that will be subsumed into a greater Queen Victoria Market plan … but in the meantime we have to start to get the public realm working for all of those community markets and the multicultural events and just make it a bit more than a back-end street for the market.''

The Queen Vic proposal also includes funds for business plans, market research and ''full community consultation''.

Future Melbourne (People and Creative City) Committee chairwoman Jennifer Kanis said the infrastructure funding would fill gaps in service delivery and increase support for more people.

Other projects funded under the $14.43 million program include:

■ $5 million to redevelop the JH Boyd Girls High School in Southbank, creating facilities including a library, health services, meeting rooms and artist spaces.

■ $2.5 million for a library in Docklands on the corner of Bourke Street and Harbour Esplanade.

■ $400,000 to finish upgrading the Tan track around the Royal Botanic Gardens, including widening, providing extra lighting and harvesting stormwater.

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 17:21 

I was most excited though to hear Doyle talking about fixing up Queen St, given that I assume he means fixing up the abysmally shabby discount-warehouse type buildings that surround the market area. I wasn't aware that bit of the road between the fruit and veg and the other vendors was still called Queen Street, but Google Maps assures me it is. It's possible he's talking about turning that whole bit of road into some sort of civic space.

Otherwise, if they're talking about the carpark, I hope due care is given to retain what must surely be heritage buildings at the south end of the carpark, but which appear disused, and I think have been for some time. But yet, the north end of the CBD does seriously need some love. The RMIT redevelopments are certainly going to help around Swanston, and this would certainly be welcome in tandem.

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 12:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

^^ $3.14 million is not going to get you much, some paving on Queen Street between the eastern end and western end of Queen Vic market is probably all that's going to pay for.

The shabby shops and only partly used Mercat Cross restaurant and bar are privately owned by an old couple who are quite happy to leave them that way, so I've been told. :(

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2010, 19:41 

Looking at some of the markets we used to have (Meaning the formerly awesome Fish Markets) I wonder why the slightly architecturally uninteresting Queen Vic market still stands....

I would like to see what they come up with though. The car park is the most hideous area of the market, with those nice but useless sheds at the far end. Something tells me that in the near future that car park will become multi-level though

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010, 00:19 

Hope that any redevelopment takes into account that there are still bodies beneath the Market site from the time that it was a cemetery.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010, 12:16 

They didn't relocate them?
I know the railways (I think it was the railways) relocated the bodies in the old Williamstown Cemetery to the new Williamstown Cemetery when the docks yard was build near the timeball tower, I thought that was standard practice.