Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 25 Apr 2017, 13:48

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 08:05 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Latest construction shots.

Photos by Erektion from OzScrapers:

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 13:35 
Elite Member
Elite Member

yes an the concrete tower is rising above into the cityscape - clearly visible from St Kilda rd / Princes Bridge. Yuk. Only consolation is that a few storeys are to be added to the Flindersgate parking building in front of it.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 19:27 

The building has finished and the foyer is open and spacious but a little soulless. Maybe it will change after they attract more tenants. The Flinders Lane side is supposed to be able to house small laneway shops as is across the road but I cant see how they will have the same feel. Maybe too much corporate focus and not enough urban, people friendly focus. Hopefully I turn out to be wrong.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 20:29 

I have to say I was most impressed by the foyer. It certainly has a monumental quality reinforced by the stone panels and sheer glass. The void which goes all the way to the top of the building was very impressive. The finish seemed first class. The exposed fire escape stairs provided a nice industrial accent .

The visitor is rather over awed though - man made small by architecture!!

I recommend a visit.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2013, 09:11 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Description of the new building using the Former Auditorium façade by the architects (Bates Smart).

171 Collins Street integrates a new generation of workplace environment linking Collins Street’s luxury and sophistication with the intimacy and vibrant atmosphere of Flinders Lane.

The development consists of 29,800sqm of premium office space, spread over 17 large campus-style floor-plates, and 1,700sqm of boutique office space in the restored heritage building on Collins Street. The lower levels incorporate a business centre and over 1,500sqm of high-end retail space.

The design concept addresses the façade’s relationship to St Paul’s Cathedral spires, which sit directly in front of the building when seen from Southbank. Currently, the spires are visually lost among the mixed assembly of taller structures beyond. This new insertion provides a consistent backdrop, so that the Cathedral’s fine architecture can be clearly discerned against the elegant white glass curtain of the building.

Rendering of the entrance atrium.

The actual atrium, looking down from the top.

The new building from the north with the Former Auditorium Building façade.

View from the south.

http://www.batessmart.com.au/projects/o ... -melbourne

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2013, 22:29 

It certainly has changed and not for the better in my opinion. The inside looks like a high tech cemetery vault!!
I first saw the building in 1985 when it was opening as Figgins Diorama. I had just arrived from England after 7 years service with the Suffolk Constabulary and had been offered the job as the security manager. A fortune had been spent on the building and it was the first store in Australia to be equipped with a covert 'kimbel tag' security alarm system. Next to the lifts were tiny bright green diodes in the walls. If someone had taken a garment from a boutique which still had a kimbel tag attached sensors in the lift foyer walls would detect the tags and activate the alarm system and the diodes adjacent to the sensor would flash indicating the lift a thief was using.
What used to be the old cinema had been converted into a posh personal selling suite with catwalks for fashion shows and the like.
I was working long hours each day, when the store was closed to customers shop fitters would arrive for 8 hours through the evening til about 1 a.m. to complete the fourth and fifth floors of the store. I would then be required to come back at 7.30 a.m. to let the staff into the store to open for the day. The three deputy staff members I was suppose to have never transpired. Also the first store director (Manageress) was arrested for taking stock home without paying for it. As you can see the work load was a bit too much for $300 a week.
One day I was curious as to what was the cheapest garment for sale in the store and I found it to be a white blouse in the Emanual Ungaro boutique, priced at $400...More than my weeks wage in 1985. The store had a chauffeur, Tim White, who a few months later bought Astra Limos in North Fitzroy, he had so little work for the Rolls Royce Phantom VI, that he was reduced to delivering the smallest of purchased items, such as a bottle of perfume, to clients homes, just to occupy his time.
It was all too posh for 1980's Melbourne and I could see by the lack of customers that it was all a pipedream and within 5 months I resigned to find other work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next