Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 07:30

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Portable buildings
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 04:17 

I have just come across a reference to a company known as Hemmings Patent Improved Portable Building Manufactory of The Clift House Factory ,Bristol, who in the mid nineteenth century exported a number of such buildings to Australia, including Melbourne.
Their catalogue referred to houses, shops , a row of shops for Melbourne, a three storey iron bazaar shipped to Melbourne in 1855, churches and public houses.
It goes on to say ".......The scale of his enterprise can be judged from the number of "packages" shipped to Australia. In 1853 he shipped 6369 such items valued at over £100,000, and the following year 30,000 packages valued at nearly £250,000. It was said that few other manufacturers could match his design or functional quality."
The business transferred to Bow, London after 1855 and continued in business until at least 1870.
Would be interesting to know if there are any remnants of these building in Melbourne or records to show where they might have been located.
I realise that this is a very , very long shot, but....................

Post subject: Re: Portable buildings
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2017, 10:44 
Elite Member
Elite Member

I don't know of any Hemmings Patent buildings, but Walmsley House in Royal Park is an a good example of an c1854 imported British, detached, prefab, iron cottage;
http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au/places/r ... print=true

Theres an interesting row of iron cottages on Brunswick Street still standing. I don't know their origin;
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.777 ... 328!8i1664

Post subject: Re: Portable buildings
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 00:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Corio Villa, in Eastern Beach Road, Geelong, was the first prefabricated cast iron house in Australia. It was made in 1855, by a Scottish foundry, for William Gray, Commissioner of Crown Lands for the Portland Bay district, who died before the pieces of the house arrived in Geelong.

The segments lay unclaimed on the wharf for a while, until they were bought by Alfred Douglas and put together in 1856, seemingly without the plans. The foundry burnt down shortly after the manufacture of the house, destroying the moulds, so the house is unique.

http://www.intown.com.au/historic/corio-villa.htm