It is currently 19 Dec 2017, 09:24

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2015, 15:42 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Hey Pete,

The place you've mentioned I vaguely recall was also mentioned to me by a relative when I brought the 'mansion' pictured above up in a conversation.
Up until around 12 - 18 months ago, a derelict home still existed on the site you mentioned to the Eastern (or Cranbourne) side of the golf course, where a new
town house estate now exists. I'm unsure if this derelict house was built around or after the time the 'ruins' you mention were demolished or if it was even the exact
same property (possibly could have been adjoining) Said relative knew somebody who once lived in that derelict house and I believe going on memory the place you
mention was originally a coach house inn before becoming a hotel/motel, and ultimately falling into disrepair. But don't quote me on that as it is hear-say at this point.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2017, 13:55 
Elite Member
Elite Member

So it's been a while but this place I mentioned in this thread had remained a mystery to me still, until recently and in an unrelated search I stumbled across more information. The house was in fact as Petem mentioned in a previous reply here and located on the Cranbourne side of the former Amstel Golf Course (now slowly being redeveloped for housing) and was named Willowdale. Willowdale was thought to have been built by the same architect who constructed Balla Balla at Pearcedale and Harewood at Tooradin.

Next paragraphs sourced from http://caseycardinialinkstoourpast.blogspot.com.au

"The Glen family bought the Close property from William Close in 1938. There were around 260 acres and another 160 acres with a two storey brick house. This is where the Amstel Gold Course is located on Cranbourne Frankston Road. Part of this acreage, without the house, was over the road on the side where St Peters School is today.

The Close Property, called Willowdale was a double story brick home, still there in the late 1960s. It is believed that the same builder had constructed Willowdale, Balla Balla and Harewood; all local homes and Willowdale is the only one not here today. It was a rectangle Georgian design in cream brick with a slate roof. The bricks are believed to have been made on the property. Its front door was surrounded in lead light glass - described as being a 'lovely blue' There was a main hallway and stairs to the second level. On the first level, the drawing room was on the right hand side and the two bedrooms on the left hand side. The hallway went through at the back to a meals and kitchen area. There was one chimney, which went through the downstairs bedrooms and then to upstairs.

There was a picket fence at the front of the house, later replaced by wire. Two Norfolk pines stood on the left hand side of the house."

Attachments:
File comment: The 'ruins' I originally questioned.
IMG_0073.JPG
IMG_0073.JPG [ 42.01 KiB | Viewed 78 times ]