Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 15:04

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2005, 11:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

What a great thread.......some fantastic photographs.

Any idea when that Federal Hotel was demolished?

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2005, 15:38 

velco. wrote:
There's still things that to this day I don't understand..........
Why would you demolish something like this to get spirit-less boxes up?
City council corruption or lack of common sense?

Victorian buildings were considered hideous by most architectural critics until fairly recently. The demolition of particularly extravagant examples was considered to be an especially good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2005, 16:09 
Elite Member
Elite Member

I haven't picked up on that outlook on a global scale though, or even outside of Melbourne... especially when it comes to structures so grand that are a statement of their time... I'd hate to see, say, the Republic Tower going down in a few decades based on current trends and ignorant of its significance when it was built.. someone must have cashed-in during the golden re-development rush of the 60s and 70s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2005, 20:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

J.v.d.A. wrote:
What a great thread.......some fantastic photographs.

Any idea when that Federal Hotel was demolished?

1973 :cry:

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2005, 01:05 

velco. wrote:
I haven't picked up on that outlook on a global scale though, or even outside of Melbourne... especially when it comes to structures so grand that are a statement of their time... I'd hate to see, say, the Republic Tower going down in a few decades based on current trends and ignorant of its significance when it was built.. someone must have cashed-in during the golden re-development rush of the 60s and 70s.

I'm not sure how global the mentality was, but I can say that that is what people thought in the United States - Victorian buildings were considered monstrosities by the modern architectural community. It also seems to have been what people thought in Britain as well, based on books I have read. Not that the buildings were town down merely for being disliked - someone probably did stand to make a big profit.

Average people seemed to feel differently, though. It seems there was a growing fondness for Victorian buildings in the 60's, which ultimately led to the creation of measures to protect historic buildings. People probably became tired of seeing decent buildings being replaced by parking lots and bland/ugly modern structures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2005, 08:08 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Krazy Kat wrote:
velco. wrote:
I'm not sure how global the mentality was, but I can say that that is what people thought in the United States - Victorian buildings were considered monstrosities by the modern architectural community. It also seems to have been what people thought in Britain as well, based on books I have read. Not that the buildings were town down merely for being disliked - someone probably did stand to make a big profit.

Average people seemed to feel differently, though. It seems there was a growing fondness for Victorian buildings in the 60's, which ultimately led to the creation of measures to protect historic buildings. People probably became tired of seeing decent buildings being replaced by parking lots and bland/ugly modern structures.

Yes, it is probably a shame that "people power" came a bit late when it comes to architecture. Ironic when you think that democracy is actually what we fought for in both world wars.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next