Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 09:43

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2010, 15:15 

i'm new here and i know that this is an old thread, but it caught my interest.....
a few months back i tracked down one of the two futuro houses from carribean gardens.

as far as i know (haven't been out to check recently) it is being used as a storeroom (the horror!) by boy scouts out in south morang... bizarre huh?
i'm not at home at the moment but i do have the address and it can be seen from google earth, so i will post the details later.
cheers,
leisa

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2010, 15:35 

oops. i just realised this is not an old thread......like i said, i'm new here... :)

i thought this might also be of interest.

dave graney's dream home.

the endeavour-tron!

http://www.thedavegraneyshow.com/General/TRON.html

cheers,
leisa

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2010, 08:49 

Quote:
as far as i know (haven't been out to check recently) it is being used as a storeroom (the horror!) by boy scouts out in south morang

Do you mean the one on the edge of the Formula One Go-Kart track at 475 McDonalds Road, South Morang?

If so, then that is not the one from the Caribbean Gardens. That one formerly stood on the edge of a 1970s housing estate in Apollo Parkways (north of Greensborough), where it was used as the estate agent's sales office for the subdivision.

It stood on the corner of the Diamond Creek Road and Plenty Valley Drive. I remember it being there when I was a kid.... it was doubly fascinating to us, because there was one of those giant spherical water towers behind it - the type that we used to nickname "Chupa-chups" for obvious reasons. The water tower has gone, and the UFO was relocated to South Morang, where it remains today. Yes, it is being used as a storeroom but still retains its original kitchen and bathroom fitout within.

The history of the building is briefly retold in the latest issue of Architect Victoria (Autumn 2010), with a recent collage of photographs on the front cover. This magazine - a special themed issue devoted to post-Second World War heritage - can be perused online.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2010, 11:07 

Quote:
Do you mean the one on the edge of the Formula One Go-Kart track at 475 McDonalds Road, South Morang?

yes, that's the one. go karts, not boys scouts.

good to know that it is still intact and thanks so much for the info on the issue of architect victoria, i'm off to track that down now.

no doubt you've seen this page - tracking futuro houses across the world
http://www.futuro-house.net/

so the caribbean gardens ufos are still unaccounted for...

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 17:40 

Luna Park replaced another amusement park called Dreamland (also named after a Coney Island park). It was located in roughly the same area. Most of it was demolished for Luna Park, but a wooden roller coaster called The Figure Eight remained alongside until around WW1. It sat approx. where The Palais now stands.

On the site of the demolished Palace in the St Kilda triangle I can recall amusement rides (Dodgems, Merry-go-rounds etc) there until at least the mid 1970's.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010, 16:28 

I remember the lion park on the outskirts of Melbourne ( Ballarat Rd maybe ) was very popular in the 70s. I think I went there after the lions had all been removed and there was a big suspension bridge over a dam that was pretty fascinating. When i was in primary school in the 70s it was common to receive free passes to the lion park or to Luna Park in some showbags at the Melbourne Show.

I went to Peninsula Gardens in the late 70s for a family picnic - you could hire it out for this. It had an in-ground pool that was nearly empty and what water there was in it was basically algae and that was a big disappointment. It also had some old pinball machines in one of the buildings, including one without buttons - the very old kind where you just watch the ball travel down to the bottom - I thought that was also very frustrating because wouldn't it have been better to make it with flippers ?

I went there again in the early eighties when there was a rock concert on there in summer. I remember they played Midnight Oil's US Forces before the band came on and I though that song was awesome as it was the first time I had heard it.

I also have a dim memory of going to some sort of recreation park, like Peninsula Gardens, somewhere in Sorrento/Portsea area. I just remember that it seemed like it was never finished and that they were closing it before they had gotten close to finishing it. I may have gone there with my school. I think it was in the grounds of an old mansion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next