Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 15:05

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: 12 May 2013, 03:55 

Hello,
I used to live directly across the road from Bellendon Homestead on Jells Road; Wheelers Hill, and was in the home many times when it was owned by the Jungworth family. Jells Road was originally the driveway to the main homestead. The four sided window tower; used earllier as an Aboringinal lookout tower was manned daily by armed guards of the day. If a tribe of aboriginals were seen a bell in the centre of the tower was rung as warning to all who serviced the main home; and they then made their way to the main home; and protection of the guards of the homestead. The bell was still in the tower when I visited it. The home we used to live in was originally the gardeners cottage. The half moon driveway, in front of the house; according to Mrs Jungworth; was layed with mosaics; that depicted the life of Christ from birth to crucifiction; and I've often wondered why no one has tried to unearth it. Accordingly; I believe the home was removed by the National Trust to another location; but of that I can't be sure; as when we left Wheeler's Hill it was still standing. The area fell to subdivision before we left; as developers moved in buying up the farms in the area. Accordingly; travelling back towards Wellington Road; the last homestead on the left was the original Cobb & Co; overnight accommodation for travellers heading towards the hills; as they were a popular destination for city people of the day. Sadly it burnt down before we left. It was known at the time by residents as the police paddocks. Today sadly I doubt I'd even know the place.

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 15:38 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Thanks for your insight Valdore, after reading your post and with nothing to do this morning, I headed over to the site to have a look myself.

It seemed the Homestead was actually quite large, the visable footings that remain are bricks of the Blackburn Brick Co.
I roughly measured out the size of the building by stepping, the front facade of the Homestead is (approx') 20.5 steps across,
with the remaining visable footings on the Southern side going back approx' 10 steps from the front facade to the rear of the property.

The remaining footings along the Northern side of the Homestead also went back around 10 steps from the front facade, however
at around 16.5 to 17 steps back from the front facade there was visable continuation of the footings consisting of three bricks amongst the grass.
I didn't find anything further back than that.

In the below photo, you can just make out the outline of the former driveway and garden path.

It's all time & money but I really think a professional archealogy firm should go over the site, I wonder if when building
the new buildings at the oval or any of the surrounding homes they unearthed the original farm dump,
or how much of these original buildings (possibly bluestone floors in the outbuildings) is still hidden
or was just generally discarded.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2013, 06:41 

Hello All,

I attended Waverley Meadows Primary School in the late 70's. I remember one fateful day during recess, likely in 1978, while playing in the schoolyard across the road (on the other side of Columbia Drive), feeling intense heat on my face.

The Bellenden Homestead was on fire.

A group of us clung to the schoolyard fence in awe as the fire licked the outside of the building. Only days earlier we had clambered up the tower inside the decrepit building – as we had done many times before – conjuring up in our minds the building’s history, while at the same time being slightly unnerved by the presence of imagined ghosts under the floorboards or behind the walls.

As kids, we knew very little about the place, other than what we imagined. We did not even know its name. I did not even know that until today.

The Bellenden Homestead.

What we knew is that we missed it. We played primary school footy or cricket, depending on the season, every Friday afternoon for years on the oval only metres from the site, both before and after the Homestead’s denouement. The post-fire years left an eerie void, however, and perhaps it was then that the audience of ghosts appeared on the sidelines in the house that wasn’t there, wondering why we no longer came to visit.

dunbar7376.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2013, 19:53 

dunbar7376 wrote:
Hello All,

I attended Waverley Meadows Primary School in the late 70's. I remember one fateful day during recess, likely in 1978, while playing in the schoolyard across the road (on the other side of Columbia Drive), feeling intense heat on my face.

The Bellenden Homestead was on fire.

A group of us clung to the schoolyard fence in awe as the fire licked the outside of the building. Only days earlier we had clambered up the tower inside the decrepit building – as we had done many times before – conjuring up in our minds the building’s history, while at the same time being slightly unnerved by the presence of imagined ghosts under the floorboards or behind the walls.

dunbar7376.

Thanks dunbar7376 for your eloquent recollections. You are the the only person I know that isn't a cousin or uncle to have climbed up the tower. I never had a great sense that the tower was haunted, there was an amazing amount of sunlight coming through the west-facing picture window on the landing BUT there was a rather spooky alcove that I preferred to avoid.