Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 18:39

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: REDCOURT - A Mansion
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 14:49 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

This distinctive mansion is located in Orrong Road, Armadale and has only come to my attention because it is currently up for sale. Oddly enough I have been unable to locate any photographs of the property beyond those provided with regard to the forthcoming auction; it seems difficult to believe that no one took any photographs of this beautiful house - if anyone is able to locate some I'd love to see them.

Recourt dates to 1887-1888, architects being Reed, Henderson & Smart. It was originally erected for a E.L.Yencken, then subsequently changed hands a number of times until agent T.Burke acquired the property in around 1930 and subdivided the grounds to create Redcourt Avenue. Later still it was run as Redcourt guesthouse and at some stage a hostel.

Here is Redcourt:

The shots of the beautiful and apprently intact interiors are evidence of a grand mansion which has fortunately survived. Hopefully it will be purchased and restored to its full glory.

Look at the great fireplace, ceiling and wall panelling in this room:

This is similiarily attractive:

You can see by some of the fluorescent light fittings that this elegant mansion has been used to other purpose, but thankfully the interiors themselves seem - on this viewing anyway - to be relatively preserved:

The first room shown here looks as though it may have been partitioned, note the flimsy wall on the left, which appears to have been erected across a fireplace - the ceiling hints at a room of once grander proportions:

Here's a link to the agents site, including a listing of inspection times - could well be worth a look.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=105339513&f=10&p=10&t=res&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=2001104&s=vic&tm=1227060916

Post subject: Re: REDCOURT - A Mansion
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 17:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

We covered the sale of this back in 2005:

Mansion plan for homeless

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=657&p=4165

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 19:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Aha - good work Collector. Didn't ring any bells with me at all.

Now that I have seen shots of the interior converting this in to a rooming house would be a bloody joke.

I might see if I can swing by and have a closer look and take some photographs.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2008, 21:08 
Site Admin
Site Admin

fantastic pictures.

the floors could use some polishing and some paint on the outside otherwise looks in fantastic nick.

that sort of Queen Anne wall paneling and stained wood treatment is priceless - and how is the fireplace !

owning something like that is my ultimate dream ....

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2008, 09:42 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah - those interiors are mouth-watering stuff - it would be incredible to own and live in a place like that, just beautiful.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2008, 15:35 

Thr Ministry of housing owns it, it was bought to create a rooming house from the country teachers board, who used it to house country teachers for many years. I spent some time in there doing measure ups and it was seriously spooky, Aparently a Mrs Wallis was caretaker and ruled the place with an iron will, until one day she just disappeared, It is said that she is still in the house, also a ghost of a dog has been seen. The plans submitted for the rooming house would subdivide the grand rooms and cover the magnificent ceilings and decoration in some parts, which would be a shame. There is a great art nouveau bathroom upstairs and a tiled butter room in the basement, which are pretty special too

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next