Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 25 Jun 2018, 11:42

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 16:26 

Can anybody please help me. I'm trying to recall an old building (mansion) that was around Tennyson st, St.Kilda around the late 70's and early 80's when I lived in that area (I was a student at Elwood High School). I think I may have seen it on a documentary recently, and the reason I'm trying to find out about it is because I remember as a youngster how intimidating I would find it. I believe it was occupied by squatters etc. however, my memory could be incorrect. I've done some internet searching and am starting to become so obsessed, I might have to get in the car and drive to Melbourne! Any help would be greatly appreciated - Regards

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 17:00 

Depending on which part of Tennyson Street you are thinking of, and ruling out those houses that had already been demolished by the late '70s, Sherwood Hall in Hennessy Avenue might qualify, although it seems to have been well-maintained and in constant legitimate use (as opposed to squatted) throughout recent decades.

A Google search of "Sherwood Hall Elwood" throws up a load of relevant links, most with photos to jog your memory, including the useful earlier post on this very site "J.T.Collins & I Tour St Kilda" (which also includes photos of other mansions in the general area).

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009, 10:23 

Thanks so much for your response. I did have a look at the photographs, they do seem a little familiar but it was a fairly long time ago. I must admit after stumbling upon this site that it is almost heartbreaking to see all these beautiful houses demolished in the 60's and the monstrosities that they were replaced by. As a footnote, years ago I worked in Ballarat and found myself on a cherry picker installing communications systems on power poles. The 'birds-eye' view around Lake Wendouree at some of those old homes was quite marvelous. Once again, such a pity that a lot of those grand old Melbourne houses ended their existence at the end of a wrecking ball.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 00:34 

Could you have been thinking the corner of Tennyson and Dickens, if so the building appears in those photos, (5) and in some the signage is "Berley" and "Moulin Rouge".

PostPosted: 19 May 2015, 03:02 

I am wondering if you may perhaps be referring to Hartpury House, which is on Milton St but near the corner of Tennyson St. (The original driveway was on Tennyson St).

It was built in 1865 and has a long and interesting history. I currently live in the building and am doing research on its history. I can share if this would be of interest and you think this might be the house you are thinking of.

If anyone else has any information on Hartpury or surrounding old mansions, I would be very interested to hear from you!

PostPosted: 20 May 2015, 00:03 
Elite Member
Elite Member

I lived in Milton Street and Hartpury House was very curious to me as little could be seen from the street.