Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 09:36

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Manor - Werribee
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 17:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

This magnificent looking building dated to around 1895-6 (architect: Alexander Hamilton) and was built for Percy Chirnside.

Percy and George Chirnside were the sons of Andrew Chirnside, one of the original owners of the well-known Werribee Mansion. Apparently when the two sons inherited the Chirnside estate from their father, George - as the eldest son - was given the mansion whilst Percy was given "stony land above the railroad". Not surprisingly, this led to ill feeling between the brothers and when Percy subsequently purchased land and had Hamilton build "The Manor" his brother George took out a court to prevent Percy using the word "Werribee" when naming his new mansion.

These photographs are dated to 1889:

The property was sold to Phillip Lock in 1923, subsequently purchased by a Mr Galvin who in turn left it to his neice, a Mrs Hayes.

Here's some great photographs of the property from J.T.Collins, taken in May 1966:

It looks neglected in this photograph, it appears as though several of the windows are broken - which would suggest it may have been vacant at this time. It seems extraordinary that such a magnificent house would be left vacant.

This beautiful house was destroyed by fire on 25/7/1966.... :(

Post subject: Re: The Manor - Werribee
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 19:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

^^ Well done again J.v.d.A. =D>

A postcard I have of The Manor.

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 20:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Wonderful stuff J.v.d.A.. Thanks very much for drawing The Manor to our attention.

Your post also seems to explain something that I'd never really thought about. In 1911 the Victorian Railways opened a crossing loop and station called Manor, about half way between Werribee and Little River on the Geelong railway line. I now realise that it was almost certainly named after Percy Chirnside's mansion.

However Manor station (which was closed in 1970) was obviously miles away from The Manor, which was on the Werribee River, but whereabouts was it exactly?

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 21:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Good question, I have no idea and haven't been able to find an exact location. I just happened upon a photograph of it today while looking up something else and did a little bit of looking around to dig up the bit of information I put up in the original thread.

A further look at J.T.Collins' photographs seems to be conclusive evidence that the property was vacant when he photographed it in 1966, note the creeper which is slowly enveloping several parts of the house (including across windows) and the generally run down appearance of the grounds themselves.

What a terrible waste to have this place go up in flames.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 10:15 
Site Admin
Site Admin

J.v.d.A. wrote:
What a terrible waste to have this place go up in flames.

The design reminds me of Cestria in Hawthorn, but on a much larger scale. Agree, a real tragedy.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 10:49 
Elite Member
Elite Member

It is a lot like Cestria, speaking of which, does anyone know what is happening with that place? It still has the temporary fencing around it.