Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 25 Jun 2018, 11:39

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barcelona - Then and Now
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 17:59 

After several weeks of waiting and saving up I bought a book titled Barcelona - Then and Now, by Jose Soler. The book displays wonderful images of the Spanish capital Barcelona, through three major events which have shaped Barcelona into the stunning city as we see today. The 1888 International exposition, the 1929 exposition and the 1992 Olympic Games.

I have chosen three places from the book which I believe show the evolution of Spanish architecture and there iconic and maturing style . I also put an extra photo of my favourite cathedral for the fun of it :) Enjoy!!!

Carrer Bisbe

(Old) Carrer Bisbe( Bishop Street).

(New) Carrer Bisbe

A visible portion has been changed, the ornate gothic door way to the Palua de la Generalitat has been changed, gothic balustrades have been added to the roof and the arch windows have been removed. The building looks now finished and complete with the stone balustrades, though by getting rid of the arch windows, the building looks more like a gothic bank. You might believe that the bridge is an original gothic era bridge, don't be deceived. It was built in 1928 by Joan Rubio I Bellver, a disciple of Gaudi.

Arc de Triomf
(Old) Arc de Triomf
This 30.5 metre high Arc de Triomf was built by architect Josep Vilaseca I Casanovas to serve as the main entrance for the 1888 International exposition.
(New) Arc de Triomf
Besides the new apartment development in the background and the new stately palm trees in front of the arch, everything is relatively unchanged. I like the lamp posts, they look like industrial Crane arms holding up light pendants!

Barcelona Pavilion

(Old) Barcelona Pavilion
The Barcelona Pavilion was built in 1929 by Ludwig Mies Van der Rohe to serve as the German pavilion for the 1929 exposition. What is notable to point out how modern and minimalist this Pavilion looks for its time and in the following year(1930) the Art deco Crysler building was completed in NYC. It really shows how advanced some firms and architects were for their time.
(New) Barcelona Pavilion

last but not least one of my favourite cathedrals by one of my favourite architects.

La Sagrada Familia by Antoni Gaudi
The building started in 1882 by Antoni Gaudi and the completion is estimated to be in 2026, give or take a year. The photo shows an image of the cathedral before its towers and main facades were built. It funny to see that instead of goats walking on the main street of the cathedral today, tourists are. :)

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2013, 14:11 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Some great comparisons. The Barcelona Pavillion shots, new and old, are two different buildings. The original was torn down, not even a year old, in 1930. It was recreated between 1983 and 1986 for permanent display.

La Sagrada Familia is awesome, as is the long term commitment to it's completion.