Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 26 Jun 2018, 06:40

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2013, 20:03 

There is this particular house on Kooyong Road Toorak, very quaint red brick, ivy-covered home which was demolished to welcome an awfully gimmicky, tacky "Dubai"-esque home. It's such a shame that some people have very little respect for their surroundings and virtually no appreciation for heritage. I want to know what everyone else thinks of this? This is only one such case of a recurring fad or trend that is becoming quite (alarmingly) prevalent in not only Melbourne but Australia wide

before

after

Not only does it look bad, but it completely clashes with its surroundings. You can imagine a house like that in a beachside suburb, but in Toorak?

Even in Adelaide, many wealthy young-ins are knocking down bluestone homes and cottages for these kind of awfully outrageous and excessive houses. I didn't think anyone in Toorak would be as stupid as to jeopardise the historic feel of the neighbourhood, but this is what has been done.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2013, 00:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

coffeeandtv wrote:
... I didn't think anyone in Toorak would be as stupid as to jeopardise the historic feel of the neighbourhood, but this is what has been done.

Hah! What makes you think that people in Toorak would be more likely to be concerned about heritage? A lot of property developers live there.

I've seen far worse monstrosities than the house being constructed. The worst aspect is the two mature Canary Island palms that have been dug up from somewhere and plonked in front to give a "tropical" feel. That is absolutely crass.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2013, 20:59 
Site Admin
Site Admin

"heritage" ?

I can't see properly from the photo but it looked kind of 70s to me. At best 1920s. I've seen plenty of real heritage demolished. This does not look like an example.

So the new thing isn't to your tastes, and maybe not sympathetic to the neighbourhood character, but that doesn't mean that what it replaced was heritage. Just saying. Peace ...

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 15:03 

Corio wrote:
coffeeandtv wrote:
The worst aspect is the two mature Canary Island palms that have been dug up from somewhere and plonked in front to give a "tropical" feel. That is absolutely crass.

I wholeheartedly agree. They look terrible. Maybe it's not heritage per se, but the house looks dreadful.

Why couldn't they build something more sympathetic to the surrounding homes? How about something that isn't blatantly modern with a bit of an old look? It looks so terrible and unnatural in an area full of old houses. You would never see this kind of thing happening in America and Europe, they have much better appreciation and respect towards anything old.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 11:21 

"There's no accounting for taste." Planners ultimately get their jobs via the democratic process, so the look of our streets - good or bad - ultimately reflects taste and values of the populous... And if you think the above is bad (agreed), tour through great swathes of England - "the horror, the horror."

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 13:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Planners might get their jobs through a more-or-less democratic process but, as I've observed, it's usually developers who have the greater say in how the majority of our streets look. And they certainly don't get their jobs via any democratic process.