Melbourne & Australian Architecture Topics

A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 18:40

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2014, 14:09 

Hello There,

I hope this post isn't considered Spam by the rules of the forum. My name is Peter Rees and I’m writing from the offices of Endemol Australia. We are one of the largest independent television production companies in the country. I have included a web link below for your reference.

http://endemol.com.au/

We are working with ABC television to produce an Architecture/ home makeover series. We’re looking for an energetic, affable, talented, Australian or N.Z. Architect to host the program. Ideally they won’t mind getting their hands dirty.

You might be interested yourself or perhaps you know someone who fits the bill. If you’ve always thought they deserved a TV show you're probably right and we’d love to hear about them.

A lot of television executives say, Australia doesn’t produce the likes of Kevin McCloud. Fortunately we now have an opportunity to prove them wrong.

If anyone is interested, or if you have more questions, please feel free to contact me. Details below. A head shot or video of yourself speaking would also be very helpful.

Best wishes,

Peter Rees
Development Producer.
prees@endemol.com.au
Tel: 02 9202 8518

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2014, 22:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

There's already a program called "Grand Designs Australia", hosted by "Australia's Kevin McLeod", Peter Maddison.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2014, 22:42 

As far as I'm aware, GDA is only available on pay tv, whereas this would be for the ABC.

If the producer checks back I want to suggest that the show have a broad variety of architectural styles including Victorian, Edwardian, and Cal-Bung, as both GD and GDA focus mostly on clinical modern structures. No doubt these modern concepts suit a certain demographic, but it's possible to pitch the show to a wider audience.

As for a host, I have no idea but I think the reason GD was successful with Kevin McCloud was because he had character without being annoying; he was likeable without being bland. He basically made the show. UK's Coast show and Coast Australia, Neil Oliver, is another example of someone people tend to like, and is the foundation of the show's success. Finding such as these sounds like hard work to me.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2014, 15:23 

This is indeed a new show for ABC Television in Australia. We are not trying to replicate ground designs. Instead we want to look at renovations to existing homes. That would mean we cover a wide range of Architectural styles.

Again, happy to hear from all interested parties.

Best wishes
Peter Rees. p.rees@endemol.com.au