A place to talk about Australian Architecture, Heritage & Planning Issues
It is currently 28 Dec 2014, 09:47

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 13:25 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Just saw plans for 'Spring Apartments' , which if built would be ripping apart an intact Victorian streetscape on the corner of Hoddle and Victoria st's, Richmond

Edit : this forum possibly needs to increase the size of images alloweed, you'll have to see them by clicking the links below.

Renders of proposed development

http://oi44.tinypic.com/308i4pt.jpg

http://oi39.tinypic.com/345c000.jpg

http://oi44.tinypic.com/x4lts5.jpg

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 15:10 

Has this been approved from council yet? I live within the City of Yarra and an usually up on all applications but have not heard of this.
Shame if that row disappears.... Victoria St from Hoddle to the Yarra needs to retain all the heritage it can.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 17:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I agree Oxfordian. Please let us know if you find out more.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 18:30 
Elite Member
Elite Member

I like the design, but it is absolutely emphatically the wrong location to put it.

And know the place for the first time.” -T.S Eliot

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 07:20 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for bringing this up.

Personally I'm struggling to fathom the rate at which these great long Victorian era streetscapes which are synonymous with Melbourne are disappearing.

And I can't believe so many of them have no heritage overlays so its so easy for developers to knock them down.

Councils need to stop looking at the heritage value of individual buildings and start classifying them based on their contribution to the streetscape.

I really can't see how the facades can be kept, afterall it forces the buildings to have a podium of a reasonable height to allow light to street level. Its what they would be forced to do back in the 90s when we actually had some respect for what heritage was left.

Keeping one or two significant buildings is just a cop out. In years to come their value will also come into question with their streetscape signficance now downgraded. Its a slippery slope.

The way its going won't be long before we're left with a patchwork of iconic streets like Lygon Street and thats about it.

And the designs they're coming up with are simply a 1960s architects wet dream. I bet they would have loved to have CAD back then ... I don't care if its got patterns in pre-cast concrete, they're piles.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 10:16 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

williampitt wrote:
Thanks for bringing this up.

Personally I'm struggling to fathom the rate at which these great long Victorian era streetscapes which are synonymous with Melbourne are disappearing.

And I can't believe so many of them have no heritage overlays so its so easy for developers to knock them down.

Councils need to stop looking at the heritage value of individual buildings and start classifying them based on their contribution to the streetscape.

I really can't see how the facades can be kept, afterall it forces the buildings to have a podium of a reasonable height to allow light to street level. Its what they would be forced to do back in the 90s when we actually had some respect for what heritage was left.

Keeping one or two significant buildings is just a cop out. In years to come their value will also come into question with their streetscape signficance now downgraded. Its a slippery slope.

The way its going won't be long before we're left with a patchwork of iconic streets like Lygon Street and thats about it.

And the designs they're coming up with are simply a 1960s architects wet dream. I bet they would have loved to have CAD back then ... I don't care if its got patterns in pre-cast concrete, they're piles.

I don' quite share your fears for all of Inner Melbourne dissapearing, but I wish more people had the passion.

I can't find any mention of the proposal on the Yarra planning website, so don't know what's going on.
I just saw the proposals on another forum and shared them here.