It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 09:55

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Maribyrnong River
PostPosted: 01 May 2010, 18:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I thought it was time to shed some light on a neglected aspect of Melbourne; the Maribyrnong River

This is Tannery Park. I was very suprised to find something so nice there considering how bare it all looks when yo're on the train.

It was at this stone marker that the original junction of the two rivers was.

Post subject: Re: Maribyrnong River
PostPosted: 01 May 2010, 22:59 
Elite Member
Elite Member

beautiful area. Any info on the chinese structure shown in the pics?

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 13:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The statue and adjacent temple have been discussed in the thread Statues in Melbourne - which ones are the best ? This is the link about them which I posted there.
http://www.threethousand.com.au/stray/mazu-the-heavenly-queen/

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 13:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

topahend wrote:
I thought it was time to shed some light on a neglected aspect of Melbourne; the Maribyrnong River

Another excellent group of photos topahend =D>

I've always loved this railway bridge between Footscray and South Kensington, with its massive original 1850s abutments, and the truss girder superstructure from (I think) the 1910s, which replaced the original wrought iron span.

It annoyed me intensely when the boring plate girder bridge was built alongside it on the upstream side when the line was quadrupled in the 1970s, totally spoiling the original bridge's appearance from one side at least, as you can see in the photo below.

With two more tracks to be provided on the downstream side as part of the Regional Rail Link, the original structure will probably be completely overwhelmed, with a heterogeneous mish-mash of bridge styles as the sad result.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 14:51 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Yes, Melbourne's second river. A good topic. Did you tour it by pushbike, Topahend?
The following is an excerpt from MARIBYRNONG RECORD: PAST IMAGES OF THE RIVER by Judy Maddigan and Lenore Frost.
Quote:
Introduction:
The name 'Maribyrnong' is said to derive from the Wurundjeri language meaning 'I can hear a ring-trail possum'. The river was first recorded by white people when Captain Charles Grimes, Acting Surveyor-General of New South Wales, led an inland exploration from Sorrento in 1803. John Fleming, who accompanied Grimes, described the river:
"The land became high where we landed and went on a hill... saw a large lagoon at a distance, went over the hill to a large swamp... no trees for many miles." All along the river Flemming reported very few trees, with occasional "struggling oaks by the side of the river".
While the township became known as Maribyrnong, the river was known as the Saltwater Creek - the Yarra was called Freshwater Creek. By the turn of the century 'Saltwater' had become synonymous with bad odours and polluted water. The Age in March 1905 described it as "an abomination and a danger". Following pressure by the Essendon River League and other local groups, the river was renamed 'Maribyrnong' on 10 March 1913.
The following photographs show the River at various times, and in various moods, and the illustrate the continual interaction between it and the growing communities...

The river was filthy well into the 1980s and a former mayor Footscray, Matt Harris, spent many hours cleaning up rubbish in his spare time and campaigning for government action to be taken to clear the rubbish. Some of the photos I have seen from that time are amazing with the amount of rubbish about, the river banks look like there has been an oil spill.

Moving on, Corio, do you know about one of the rail bridges in Footscray formerly being over the Yarra? I was told this occurred when more lines were added between South Yarra and Richmond stations. I found some images of the construction of the bridge you mentioned from around 1912 on Picture Australia from the Victorian Railways:
http://www.pictureaustralia.org/apps/pi ... ode=search

There was also a draw bridge on Smithfield Rd and later a swing bridge further along which that has been removed.
This bridge was built in 1928 and could possibly be a chopped down part of the old South Yarra bridge.

Here's an image of construction work from 1928.

In one of Topahend's images you can see a bluestone cottage - here it is in the 1930s on the hill.

For further details here is a link to a nice heritage trail along the river:
http://www.maribyrnong.vic.gov.au/Files ... ooklet.pdf

There is a link that crosses over somewhat on another thread within this site here:
viewtopic.php?t=1562
This link shows some good comparison shots as well.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 17:52 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Zxath wrote:
beautiful area. Any info on the chinese structure shown in the pics?

To me it just looks like an unfinished temple/mosque.
Im unsure why there are so many that are so unfinished,
probably money issues i'd assume, i know of quite a few more sitting in paddocks
with the grass slowly creeping up the walls, theres 3 unfinished mosques on Hutton Rd,
in what i believe is Keysborough, as well as 3 or 4 along Springvale Rd in Dingley Village/Springvale Sth.
And one off Tinks Rd in Narre Warren. Im sure theres many more around,
though they are over looked by alot of people, some of the architechture looks quite outstanding.